What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

workwoes

My current job is making me sick.
I don't know where to begin... to make everything as brief as I can, I'll point out some things that I believe the company is doing wrong and hope that someone here agrees with me and agrees it might be good to contact an attorney:

- They refuse to pay us overtime, instead they force us to use comp time. Fine, no problem, but they give us a schedule on the 1st of the month so we can schedule our lives around it, and then each day before the next, they change the hours we are supposed to work. This is TOO short of notice!

-We are an office environment. But we can be open on Saturdays, and even Sundays. We're a call center, and last I heard, calls are not supposed to be placed to consumers on Sundays (but this law may have changed, I have yet to research it). Instead of giving us a day off in the week, they force us to work every day straight, and comp us out. So, for example, if we're working both Saturday and Sunday for 4 or 6 hours, then during the week we will leave early, around 3 or 4pm (as opposed to the regular time we'd leave which is 5:30). Because they comp us out instead of giving us a day off, we are forced to work sometimes 21 days straight with no days off.

-They told us that once a month, we would be working a specific day which would last twelve hours as opposed to the regular 8 hour shifts. This day is always on the schedule at the beginning of the month for us. Then, right before that day, they cancel it, and make us work the same shift 2 days after, for 2 days.
So, for example, if we were to work a 12 hour shift on Monday, thinking we'd be comping out the rest of the week, instead when we get to work on Monday at 8:30am, they tell us at 4pm that we are now leaving, and the 12 hour shifts will be Tuesday and Wednesday. Again, too short of notice.

-The management staff is offensive and cruel. They call certain people names, or call them stupid. They treat their veteran employees with this harrassing language.
Every few days or so, they call a meeting and threaten our jobs. They tell us that if we don't hit certain goals by a certain time, then we're fired.
Well, with the way they mismanage, we don't hit those goals. But we still have jobs. While working, we have knots in our stomachs, some of us even think we have colitis because of the stress in the thought that we are getting fired.

-The management hires ANYONE off the street. They have recently taken specific interest in gangsters and other trash that don't even know how to speak to a customer on a professional level. I'm sorry, but no customer wants to be referred to as "wut up, dawg, shiyat!". Some of these new people have shown violent tendencies. They have gotten angry at other workers for no reason other than they took too long in deciding what to purchase from the vending machine, so to seek revenge, they key people's cars. Management doesn't care.
Some of these people have gone as far as having mental violent and verbal outbreaks, picking things up and throwing them. But they only get suspended for a day. Next day, they have their jobs back. While the rest of is sit in fear of these people.

-The management refuses to give us the telephone number to our corporate headquarter's HR office.

-One person was caught looking for another job, through word of mouth. They made several people sign a piece of paper claiming that they witnessed this person discussing (on BREAK) that they were seeking alternative employment. They then fired this person. This person sought an attorney. This person was back at work in three days, resumed their position, but got no apology.

-Our pay consists of a base salary and a commission rate. It used to be that on the 1st of each month we were told what we needed to obtain in order to figure out our commission. Recently, our commission rates change to suite the director of the company. One day we have one goal, and think we'll hit bonus, the next day when he finds out we're hitting bonus, he raises goals higher and tells us we have no bonus.
Isn't this wrong?

-Each employee accrues sick time, holiday pay, and paid time off. It is up to the company to choose for us which days will be used under what category. If I schedule a VACATION they force me to deduct the hours from my SICK TIME bank instead. Isn't this wrong?

-We're not allowed to call off. Even with a doctor's note, they still write us up. Why bother letting us accrue sick and pto and holiday pay if we can't use it?

-The company manual and policy states that on our 8 hour shift we are entitled to two fifteen minute breaks. Sometimes, they do not allow us to go to break. But this is in the manual that we signed when we took the job. So isn't this wrong?

-We are required to make a certain amount of phone calls per day. Sometimes there are times that the system goes down for FOUR hours, rendering us completely useless because we need the computers to do our job. When the system is down, we can't make calls. They write us up for not hitting our calls, even when it's not our fault.

-Management continually tells us that if we don't like it, they'll give us the number to another work place similar to ours. Why are they doing this? Isn't this harrassment? Here's a specific quote from one of the managers today "Obviously you can't do your job, you're such a loser, do you want the number to ABC Company or even McDonald's because that's actually all you're worth".
Isn't that harrassment?

What I have listed is just a small amount of the things I find wrong at my job.
I know, I can leave there. But it's very hard to get a job these days, and I like my JOB, as in the position and the job itself, just not the politics of the office management.

What can I do?

Sorry, but...

I know this is not helpful, but...do you actually enjoy the job? It doesnt sound that great, and it sounds like the people who run it are unprofessional and treat their staff poorly. If you dont enjoy it, then trying to fight the company and get them to make changes might simply not be worth your time. I would start looking for another job, then quit rather than work with such a mismanaged organisation.

1. That's a little confusing but what I gather is that your employer schedules work hours so that nobody works over 40 hours per week and thus they don't have to pay anyone overtime. That's perfectly legal. (I'm also assuming you are non-exempt (hourly paid.) If you are exempt, they could schedule you for 100 hours/week and they wouldn't have to pay you overtime - or offer comp time either.

2. Perfectly legal. If you don't care for the work schedule, you're free to look for a job elsewhere with hours that suit you better.

3. There are no laws which dictate your employer provide you with advance notice of a schedule change.

4. Your management staff have terrible managerial skills. That's not against the law however.

5. Your management is free to hire anyone they want, no matter how ill-suited they are for the job or work environment. If they have hired or retained an employee who has a history of violent behavior and they fail to address it or failed to take adequate precautions against hiring such a person (such as doing reference checks) AND that person harms someone at work, the company could be liable for a negligent retention suit.

6. They don't have to give you the phone number. I expect you could easily obtain it by other means however, such as calling directory assistance or looking it up on the internet.

7. Firing someone because they suspected him of seeking employment elsewhere is not illegal. I have no idea why they reinstated the individual but they don't have to apologize if they don't wish to (even though that is usually a stupid reason to fire someone.)

8. It stinks that your employer keeps raising the bar in order to avoid paying commissions but it's not illegal.

9. Your employer is not obligated to provide paid vacation or paid sick days to begin with. If they do so, they get to set the rules of the road for its use, even if those rules are screwy or seem unfair to you and me.

10. I don't know. But except for absences that fall under the FMLA, they are free to discipline employees as they see fit.

11. Very few States mandate that an employer provide scheduled breaks for employees of 18 years of age or older. Just because the company handbook says they provide two fifteen-minute breaks does not obligate them to actually provide them.

12. It's stupid to hold you accountable for phone calls you are unable to make due to a sytem out but they can do so if they wish.

13. "Management continually tells us that if we don't like it, they'll give us the number to another work place similar to ours. Why are they doing this?" Because they are so bad at their jobs that they think threatening employees is some form of motivation. "Isn't this harrassment?" No. Not even close. There are no laws that require the boss to be a nice person.

14. "What can I do?" Look for another job with a better work enviroment.

What you have described is a miserable place to work and managers who don't have a clue how to properly manage people. Unless the company owner decides to can the lot of them and hire people who know how to properly manage others (which seems doubtful), nothing is going to change. What you need to do is start looking for a new job and quit this one when you find it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back