what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kassie123190

ok lets say my mom threw me out of the house with my clothes and stuff and my dad took me in well my dad used to do drugs bad im not sure if he still does but i dont want to live either place becase i dont get along with my moms new husband because of an incident in rochester and my dad is telling me all this stuff from way back when he used to do drugs like how he was going to kill my mom and commit suicide and stuff i would like to know if i could emancipate myself or like move in with a friend please get back to me.

Google laws in your state for emancipation. Usually you have to be able to support yourself and be a certain age and a bunch of other requirements. It's almost impossible to do. Not getting along with step dad isn't one of the criteria. How old are you and what state are you in?

im 16 ill be 17 in december on the 31st. i live in iowa. the reasons why i dont get along with him are good ones i just dont want to post them all over

There is no emaniciaption status for Iowa. Guardianship to an adult other than a parent would have to be approved by your parents, so moving in with a friend would not be an option unless parents agree and the friend's parent's agree to be a guardian.

1-800-443-8336

This is a hot line for youths/teens in Iowa

Does your friend have a phone or is there a pay phone you can use? Maybe you can speak to counselors at school and see if they can help? If you don't have a job I suggest you try and get one and start saving for the day you are able to move out. It takes a lot of money to live on your own. Are there any other relatives you could live with? Grandparents or aunts or cousins and maybe your parents wouldn't object to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back