What can I do about an inflated auto repair estimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrormanext

I live in Palo Alto, CA. I was backing out of my driveway and a friend of one of my housemates was parked in an awkward position in the driveway. I ended up denting his rear quarter panel with my bumper. He took the car in for an estimate, $1200. I thought it was high but I agreed to pay it. He then told me he had decided to take the car to another shop that he has used before and liked, and the new estimate was $2600! I've requested to take the car for a 3rd estimate but he refuses, saying he only wants to use the $2600 shop. A friend of mine who knows him says he is in financial trouble and suspects he has made a deal with the body shop. I don't know the person at all. What can I do about this? Do I have any recourse? Looks like I'll need to go with insurance, which I was hoping to avoid.

You can and should report the incident to your insurance carrier. However, if you made no police report, what proof does this crook have that you hit his car? Or, what proof does he have that if you did hit his car, it was your fault?

The lesson here is never admit to anything. Secondly, if involved in an incident, always report it to the police.

I suspect thus crook is cheating you.

If you fully accept and admit responsibility, get your insurance carrier involved.

Or, tell him you'll pay the first estimate of $1,200 directly to the body shop. If he won't accept that, tell him to sue you. You'll settle it in court!

You are not obligated to pay this person a dime unless a judge orders you to. Unless you tore that bumper off and caused significant structural damage there is no way it comes to $1300 or $2600... not a driveway speeds anyway.

As suggested, you can route this through your insurance- you will only have to pay your deductible. Some company's forgive the first incident and don't jack up the rates.

If he won't let you get your own estimate then get some photos of the damage and tke them to a shop... you can get a ballpark estimate with photos.

You are getting hosed here... the owner of the car is likely trying to get a lot more paint done than what is necessary. The insurance company can bring that figure down real fast.

If you don't have insurance then simply refuse to pay. He can then take you in to small claims and justify the amount of his request to a judge- and you can make your request to obtain other estimates.

As stated above I would either agree on a mutual shop/price or let the person take you to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back