What can an insurance company force you to do on a claim?

Steve F

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
We have a Home Owner's policy on a mobile home. My wife and I have temporarily moved to a vacation home in Mexico while she is checking out Archaeological field schools here. We had a lightning strike and it damaged all sorts of computers/electronics. We placed a claim on the damage we suffered under the Personal Property provision of the policy.

Bring proactive, we went to a local electronics tech/company and had them write a letter stating what was damaged, with model and serial #s of the items and photographs of the items showing model/serial #s. We were only able to find a single company in this area that knew English well enough to write a letter to them.

Our insurance company is trying to say this is a fraudulent claim because the strike happened on a Friday and we had the letter written on the following Monday; that there is no way that we were able to get someone to come over that soon, make the determination it was lightning caused and gotten them to write a letter with that level of detail. They all but accused me of writing the letter on my own.

We were told that they (the insurance company) may want us to ship the items back to the US so that they can be inspected there by their own preferred company. They did not say that they will pay for the shipping or if I would have to foot the bill and get reimbursed.

Can they actually do this? What are the limits that they are allowed to do? We are going to be in Mexico through the month of November, am nowhere able to pay for the shipping for all items damaged in the strike upfront and wait for reimbursement.

We can get another letter from a different computer consulting firm in our area but none of them speak English well enough to compose a letter explaining what happened. Do you think the insurance company would accept a letter like this if it is written in a foreign language(Spanish)? If not, who pays for the "certified translation" of the letter? I am sure that they will want me to foot a bill on that being done if they would even accept a letter from another business in a foreign country.

What is the limits an insurance company can go to prove our loss if we are in a foreign country? Is there any options we can take being proactive that will make this claim be handled reasonably?

Read your policy.
Read it very carefully, don't just scan it.
Have your wife read a copy, then compare notes.
If the tragic event occurred in Mexico, your policy might not cover the loss.

Most of those policies limit the amount covered on computers and electronic items, so again, read your policy and refer to your exclusions and coverage pages.

If the value of your damaged goods exceeds a couple thousand, you'll probably needed to have added additional coverage, so check the endorsements pages of your policy.

Bottom line, you can file a complaint with the insurance regulatory agency in the state where the policy was issued.

From this point forward, be very careful.

If the insurance company is requiring you to submit proof, you may already have crossed the line between "legit" and "illegit" in the eyes of your carrier.

So, be very careful, because insurance fraud may already have been committed.

Here are some links that provide more detail about "exclusions":

Homesite - Home Insurance

Home insurance exclusions: What your policy won't cover

15 Things Homeowners Insurance Doesn't Cover - NerdWallet

Home insurance exclusions: what your policy won't cover

I have nothing to hide with this claim. It is just becoming a real pain in the rear. I won't be back in the US for 6 to 8 weeks. If they want the items in question so they can have their techs check it out, so be it - as long as I don't have to foot the bill for the shipping.

I have nothing to hide with this claim. It is just becoming a real pain in the rear. I won't be back in the US for 6 to 8 weeks. If they want the items in question so they can have their techs check it out, so be it - as long as I don't have to foot the bill for the shipping.

You can ask them, because I sure as heck don't know what they want....

I understand fully. I am just venting. I haven't heard anything back from them despite them saying that they would contact me today. That is nothing new either.

Back