What are my rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babyizzy14

I've been really concerned lately because I've been believing almost everything my mother told me about parenting rights. The rules changed as her years went on and I've caught her in a couple of wrong statements please help me I'm 16 years old with a 2 weeks old boy and I want to know my rights the father's rights grandparents rights and my mother's rights

What rights do I have with my child what rights does his father have way rights does my boyfriend's parents have and what rights does my mom have

Last edited:
Try using real sentences and give actual examples of what rights you have questions about. It would help if you explained if paternity has been established, how old "Dad" is, what if anything he is trying to do (or not do). You mention Mom giving you misinformation but about what?

My boyfriend is 17 years old and wants to see our son every hour of the hour but he doesn't have custody so he really can't request visits we took a DNA test on Saturday and he already signed the birth certificate I'm worried because my mother keep saying if I don't come when she want me too they can take my baby but in the state of Virginia says that a child who has a child is consider an adult that means I can do most of the things I couldn't do before like sign papers for the doctors and other stuff like that. I'm really confuse if I can do can't I stay with he father whenever I want because virgina says I'm consider an adult

You are not considered an adult. You have the right to make medical decisions for your child.

The one and only right that a minor with a baby has that a minor without a baby does not, is the right to make medical decisions for yourself and your baby. You are NOT considered an adult; you do NOT get to live anywhere your mother has not given you permission to live; you do NOT get to do everything you want to do.

You are still a minor. You are NOT legally emancipated. You are medically emancipated ONLY. Mom still makes the rules where you are concerned. You only get to make the rules regarding the baby.

Proper grammar would help, but you are either not capable or not interested in that. "They" isn't a person you identify. Nor is it clear what you are doing or not doing which would cause someone in authority to take the baby from you. Certainly CPS may do that if they feel you are putting the child at risk. And certainly either set of grandparents may petition the court for guardianship of the baby if you are not properly caring for the baby. If you think you can live where you want and do what you want because you managed to get knocked up as a teenager, you are handing them a reason to grant guardianship to someone else on a silver platter. You sure aren't acting like an adult who is responsible for the life of someone else. No state gives you the right to disobey your parents at the age of 16 and they sure wouldn't do it for a teenager who has proven she is in need of greater supervision than the average kid.

The Father can have or be granted visitation rights (once established as Father). However your parents can legally forbid contact with you! You do not beco0me an adult just because you had a child. I would not push things especially since you were not age of consent when you got pregnant. This "might" cause problems for Father if parents are provoked into action. Regardless your parents have 100% authority over you.

Okay I was just asking I'm not disobeying my mother's rules I was just wondering my boyfriend gets really upset that my mother won't let him on the property to see his own son can I do anything about that?

Okay I was just asking I'm not disobeying my mother's rules I was just wondering my boyfriend gets really upset that my mother won't let him on the property to see his own son can I do anything about that?

Your mother isn't required to permit anyone she dislikes in her home.
The 17 year old, (yes, I remember our discussion from early October) baby daddy would be best advised to heed your mother's advice.
You might want to review the advice we gave you last time.

The 17 year old will be 18 years old, sooner than you will be an adult.
He could seek his own custody action then, if he is found to be the baby daddy after the DNA results are known.
Is that what you want?
Don't allow the 17 year old to manipulate you and destroy what you and your mother have built. Be smart, just wait.

Your baby daddy needs to wait until the DNA tests return, and the baby is about 2 or 3 years old.
Your mom says NO today, and that's it.
That way, you'll be an adult, and you can decide if baby can visit daddy.
Or, you might decide to live with baby daddy.
Bottom line, you've changed nothing by getting pregnant, except to make your life much more complicated.
Plus, making mom more upset.
One day, how would you feel if your baby decided to get a girl pregnant at age 15?
I suggest you be a good mom, a better daughter, finish high school (at least), and try to improve your relationships with your mom. As your baby grows older, imagine what he'll learn from the way you treat your mom, so he can treat you the same way!!!!

Last edited:
Once paternity has been legally established, your boyfriend can be allowed to see the child. But unless Mom allows it, no law requires that he be allowed to see YOU. Or you him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back