Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication What all can a cop see when he runs your license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendramae89

I'm just wondering what all a cop can see when he runs your license. Can he see whether you are on probation or not?

I'm just wondering what all a cop can see when he runs your license. Can he see whether you are on probation or not?

When an officer runs your drivers license many, many things are revealed. Things like your arrest record, driving record, outstanding warrants, criminal affiliations, gang affiliations, mental history, drug history, officer safety alerts, etc...

All of this information isn't derived from your driving record, but other databases can be searched as one revelation can lead to many others!

Well, to be clear, when he runs just your license, he will see little more than the driving status and any information held by the state's department of motor vehicles. Records of warrants, criminal history, etc. are on different databases and depending on state law may NOT be readily accessible to an officer at all. For instance, in my state I cannot generally get criminal history records over the air nor are mental health records and the like readily available at all. I might get some local contact history on a city or county database.

If you are stopped, and an officer runs your license, the dispatchers will typically run the information through a couple of different databases to determine license status, the presence of any warrants, and, perhaps, any supervised release records (probation or parole) plus any officer notification hits (such as being a gang affiliate, assaultive towards cops, etc.). Depending on the agency and the practice of the dispatch center, these things may not regularly be run. In one agency where I worked, if you did not ask for such info all you got on a license check was a confirmation of the license status, name and address. If you wanted more, you had to specifically ask.

In my state, Texas, a great deal of information is broadcast over the radio. How do I know? I listen to the entertaining broadcasts daily. I'm also a reserve constable and my elected constable's legal advisor.

So, as CDW says, the results vary by jurisdiction and agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back