Were they right to charge me a Broker fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyBkny

Hello, I live in Brooklyn New York and I'm wondering if my landlord unlawfully charged me a broker fee.

Brief history of living situation:
My friends had a really great apartment in a really hard to get into area. They were planning on moving later in the year so I moved in with them planning to take over the lease for myself. When they moved out we convinced the landlord to let me take over the lease for only $50 more than the previous (which is really good). 1st months rent, security deposit, no broker fee.

Fast forward two years, I decided to move to the next building over which is owned by them and keep the current place as an art studio because it was more of a loft than an apt.

When I moved into the new place they decided to charge me a brokers fee. But the brokers office is in the same office as the landlords and when I pay my rent I usually hand it to the woman who claimed the brokers fee. I mean they have like 10 different LLC's so I'm sure they are within legal bounds but my question is

1. is it legal for them to do that?
2. do I have a right to get my money back
3. should count my losses and just use it as leverage when I move out at the end of the year when they complain about other little things and try to keep the deposit?

They did not break any laws so, yes it is legal.

You won't recover any of the broker fee unless you are somehow able to sweet talk them into giving it to you, but that is a very long shot.

You should take your losses and just leave it at that, you don't really have any negotiating power here.

I would suggest you take the lesson learned and next time around, if you are asked to pay a fee for a perspective apartment or anything for that matter that you don't agree with, you would be best to take your business else wheres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back