Well water shared

Sonia Beaty

Jurisdiction
California
If I own a home and we have well water and I own a 1/3 of it is it legal for my neighbor to cut off my water and make me pay her to get more?

No, it's not legal.

But you are going to need a lawyer, and possibly a lawsuit, to put a stop to it.

Apparently the well is not on your property so you don't have control over it and have gotten into some sort of pissing contest with your neighbor.

Instead of spending thousands on litigation that may take months I suggest you would be better served to spend the money to sink your own well on your own property and be independent of the whims of lunatic neighbors.

Then play her game and disconnect the well from the pump at your end and install a new pump that only serves your home.

Though you would be wise to rig the piping to both pumps so you can turn her water back on when you reach an agreement.

Accept the fact that you will have to spend money on this affair, either with litigation of guerilla tactics.

You have the well on your own property.
The solution is only a few hundred bucks and less than half a day away.
Hire someone to install a pump exclusively for your own use.
Secure the pump such that only you can enter the pump house.
I suspect all of you are operating under an easement as a covenant to your respective property ownership.

Don't be stupid and disturb her water supply.
There are laws, criminal laws, prohibiting any tampering with water.

Install your pump, move on, don't seek revenge.

Don't get yourself arrested, sued, or become the victim of sabotage.
No tit for tat, this and that.

Back