Welfare "reimbursement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TundraRain

I live in Alaska and was on Temporary Assistance in an attempt to retrain for a new occupation as a result of disabilities affecting old skills. Conditional to receiving assistance, I signed over all back child support and all child support accrued (and payments thereof) for the period I was recieiving assistance. Long story short, working/college/family/health--something had to give and my health went. Within 6 months of attaining my degree, I became unable to work and applied for SSDI. I won my case, and was awarded last June with benefits going back three years. When they awarded my benefits, they deducted for the past three years of Assistance I received from the state.

Recently I received a check from the division of child support for a direct child support payment. I called and was told that I was due any amounts accrued after my TANF account was closed last June. Inasmuch as the Social Security reimbursed the state for my TANF obligation for a period of time prior to the actual closing of the case, can the child support division hold amounts accrued during that period?

I don't think that Social Security and Child Support agencies communicate with regard to the payee as most child support is untaxable, but gee, I need the money more than the state, and if I deserve to collect it, the time is now because they have the ex paying regularly.

However, if the repayment is correct, then I don't want to have to hire an attorney to find that out. Any help or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back