Website owner responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateHa

I own a small community website for local artists and painters. Sometimes people requests pricing quotes on various art commissions and such so I made a small newletter available for everyone about the artist and their pricing.

We had a lady who is known in some circles for her craft on the message board sometime and she's been nothing but a trouble maker hurling insults and personal attacks against me. So naturally I banned her but she still posts using anonymous accounts and harrasses me and other members of the board with emails and message. The messages are nothing but insults.

In an effort to drive this person away, I made availalbe in my newletter the name of this lady and her misconducts and told everyone to stay away from this person.

Now this lady is now threatening to sue me. I know anyone can sue me but does she have a case here? I think she's suing me for libel but everything I did was not out of malice or to defamet his person. All it is just a retaliation against her constant attacks on my website.

Last edited:
The forum has a default disclaimer that needs to be checked off when signing off.

However, it allows anonymous posting.

I am not out to get this person or anything. She harrasses me with these anonymous postings and emails and I'm just trying to get her off my back.

Last edited:
Block her IP address from your site. Block any means she has to contact you. If it continues contact Police and save any threatenning emails, calls etc. Do not post any information about her on your site! By doing so you give her reasons to seek vengence and you give her the attentions she clearly craves.

I did block her IP address. But as you know the IP addresses changes so some of her posts go through once in a while.

I just grow tired so I just publish the real person's name when her posts go through.

Allowing others to see "real" name if the poster has not done so herself can prove to be a violation of your own privacy policy if you have one. Contact her ISP forward the harrassing emails etc to her ISP. Keep blocking her new IP's.

Thanks for your input.

I decided all this hassle is not worth my time and disabled anonymous posting on my site. Also, I deleted all the anonymous comments. Life is too short to deal with stupid kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back