Weapons, Guns, Firearms Weapon temporarily confiscated. How to get it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domster4u

I need help or direction on what to do next. 1st off I own a firearm that is always at arms reach. I do have a concealed carry permit as well. Now last Last July me and my wife had a heated argument that led her to leave the house to cool off. At the same time i turned off my cellphone for i don't want to talk to her that night. Unfortunately, she tried to call but can't ge a hold of me. So she decided to call the police to check on us & informed them that i do have a firearms in the house. So several police came to my house to check on me & my little daugther that sleeps w/ us. They rang the doorbell & when i opened the door they asked me to step outside & questioned me. At the same time other police office went inside my house & did a room to room search were they found my little daugther sleeping. They also found my gun in the bedside table. Anyways, long story short they took my gun & left the house. The officer told me that it's just a standard procedure that they have to take any firearm that is not lock. He also told me that i should be able to get it back w/ in 24hrs if no charges or what so ever will be filed. They never gave me any receipt or any proof that they took my firearm. It's been more than 3 months now that i've been trying to contact the detective w/ no luck. I have sent several registered mails to the detective & his boss. But so far no reply. I tried to calll him but not available & never returned any call. My gun is worth $900 I can live letting it go. But it just makes frustrated to think that this police office can just violate my rights. I need help what should i do next?

Thanks,
DoM

You did not mention your state. State law is important here as that may determine what might happen.

1st off I own a firearm that is always at arms reach.
That's a little weird ... I have a gun, too, but I do not always have it within arm's reach.

I have sent several registered mails to the detective & his boss. But so far no reply.
Try going down to the police department and asking to speak to whoever is the detective's supervisor. Ask that person what you have to do to get the gun back.

I need help what should i do next?
That may well depend on what you are told when you go down there. It may also depend on the laws in your state and why they seized your gun (under what legal authority).

- Carl

Sorry about that... I'm from Kansas. It may sound little weird for you. But yes i do have my firearm w/ me all the time or atleast arms reach. I just don't take any chances now a days.
I think i'll do that & go down there & look for that detective. But is there any standard procedure or process that i should do in filling a claim that you know off?

Thanks,
DoM

Last edited:
Yeah, it does sound a tad off ... even for Kansas. I live in a rural community where guns are a way of life, AND I'm a police officer, and I still do not have the gun within arm's reach 24/7 - this doesn't sound a wee bit paranoid to you?

Anyway, the process out here would begin with going to the department and requesting to speak to a sergeant or someone of higher rank that supervises the detective handling the case. Ask under what authority the weapons was seized, and how you might get it back. It may eventually come down to having to hire an attorney.

- carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back