we have no water

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmarie

To whoever could help us,
My fiance and I have been renting a duplex since December 2005, after the first month we started having problems with our water. We tried contacting our landlord, who is a lawyer, and kept getting a secratary who kept saying he would call us back. It took him three months to call us back. During that time My fiance, my 3 year old son and I had to and are currently showering at my sisters home. We stopped paying our rent because we didn't think it was fair. Still not having spoke to our landlord a water company came to test our water and said the test were so bad they sent our water somewhere else. After receiving the results this water company was ready to put in a whole new water system, but no one could get the okay from our lanlord. We finally went to the board of health to see what our options were. We really wanted our son to grow up in this town and our family is here that's why we waited so long to do something legal. Our landlord finally called us and said he wanted all his money we didn't pay before he fixes anything. I don't think we should have to pay and now we wish to break our lease without having to pay. This man doesn't care about our family and I don't feel happy here. How do I go about this the right way, and how do I do legal correct seeing my landlord is a lawyer. There's alot more going on here and I just don't know what to do or who to turn to.

your landlord has probably violated a state law by not getting this fixed. Is there a landlord-tenant hotline, or some sort of arbitatration in your city?

I would also have an inspector come out to the property and document this.

Have you sent a certified letter to the landlord demanding this be fixed? He legally cannot delay fixing this until he receives rent. I would research landlord and tenant laws in your state to see what recourse you might have. it might not be out of line to see an attorney to discuss your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back