We already paid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

julia73

When I had an accident at work and my husband lost his job we couldn't pay our credit card debts. We used our tax refund to make settlements with the credit card companies.
This worked with all but one credit card company. This company had previously added
2 insurances on my card adding more than $200 to my bills each month.These insurances
were supposed to protect us in case of lose of income even though I didn't ask for them.
They had also added life insurances that I didn't want. I had written to them twice and told them to take these charges off but they didn't do it. I called and told them to take off
those charges and was told that it could take 2 months.

When I wasn't able to pay my bills anymore I started getting collection calls on my answering machine threatining legal action. They left messages like bla bla bla bla bla bla on my answering machine.When I picked up the phone once the guy sounded like he had a beer or ten.We were called more than once per day. We were called after 9:eek:o p.m.He asked me what I was going to do about the upcoming lawsuit.They wrote threatening letters also.

I got a summons to answer and my checks were garnished for 18 months. The factory I
worked in closed. I got a new job. I got a summons for an asset hearing . I signed a contract to have my checking account automatically withdrawed $300 per month. I also
used my tax refund to settle an account for $2500 on the asset hearing date. I got a letter from the lawyers stating that they hadn't received my check. I emailed the boss at the lawyer's office that a payment was supposed to be withdrawed . I wasn't supposed to send them a check. He replied that he noted this in the contract.
I was told we were supposed to get a statement of how much we owed every 6 months.
We had only 1 in about 2 years.I asked for a report on how much we owed. We owed more than we started with. The $2500 wasn't on the payment records from this lawfirm but it is in my banking account statements.

These lawyers kept deducting $300 until my next tax refund. I then called to make a settlement. We settled the remaining debt for $5000. I sent a certified check.
We were told that we didn't owe anymore money. The lawyer in charge said that my checking account would't be deducted anymore. The following month I got a letter from
the bank stating that my account was overdrawn. I looked and this law firm had again made a withdrawel. I called them and told them this. I was sent a refund without an apology and without a refund for overdraft charges. I put a stop payment on the check
incase it happened again. My husband and I received letters stating that the judgment was against us in our case. We hadn't heard anything for 5 months.

My husband was sent a letter on the same case without an account number that he owed
$5000 . We called to ask why. We were told this case shouldn't have been released.
We were told that the case shouldn't have been released because there was still a debt.
I t looks like this law firm is trying to collect twice. What can we do?

I would get copies of the payments made plus anything else you have in writing and send it certified mail signature required. I would write a short letter that polity demands to that they descease and desist all actions against you as u have already paid . I would also demand they mail you a letter stating that the debt has been paid and finalized.

I am not a lawyer, i had a similar incident once though, not the same but I had a collection agency trying to get funds i had already paid to the company that said I owed them. Talking to them on the phone genrally does little. They will treat u like the scum of the earth most of the time. I suggest adding in the letter that further phone calls will be considered harrassment and reported to the authorities.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back