Repairs, Maintenance Water Leak in my Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValerieFrench

About two weeks ago, a pipe busted in my closet. I woke up to everything in my closet being drenched (Work clothes, work shoes, casual shoes & clothes.. comforters, personal belongs like pics of family and high school drawings, and a few other things. Anyways.. I also took the day off because I needed it taken care of ASAP. I called the apartments and went up there to the office trying to get somebody to my apartment, it took them over an hour all the while my closet is just pouring water from the ceiling. I called my renters insurance to make a claim.. they told me that there was nothing that they could do because my personal belongings aren't covered. and that I need to file against my apartments. I am so confused and lost. WHAT SHOULD I DO? PS. the people working at the apartment office aren't very friendly.
Thank you!!!

The purpose of renters insurance is to cover the loss if your personal items. You need to talk to them again and go over your policy.
Damage to the apartment will be covered by the owners insurance.

That's the point of having renter's ins. - to cover your personal belongings. It doesn't make sense that they are not covered.

Some of these so called "renter's polices" in Texas reimburse the landlord if you damage HIS or HER property.

They are essentially liability towards the premises policies, and don't insure the renter's personal possessions.

This might be the case here with our OP.

Could be, AJ. The OP is going to have to read the policy or talk to the ins. co. again. There are some companies that also sell renter's policies that will reimburse your loss just for a specific event(s) - such as just for theft. Renters buy them because they are cheaper than the normal "full" coverage policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back