Repairs, Maintenance Water flood in apartment

• Thread Starter freehelpwelcome
  • Start date
F

freehelpwelcome

Jurisdiction
California
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a townhouse style apartment in Los Angeles. Almost three months back, I got up in the morning, went to the bathroom sink and turned on the faucet. There was no water. I walked over to my roommate who told me there was no water till the afternoon. I forget to turn it back off. I get a call late evening that there has been water flooded in our apartment. This affected many dry walls and flooring of my apartment, some of the neighbor's apartment and also the hallway and parking lot. I do not have a renters insurance. My apartment manager calls up his property insurance for remediation. They break up many parts of the apartment and set up dryers and dehumidifiers for 3-4 weeks. There is another bedroom which was unaffected where I lived during this time. After the remediation, the manager asks us to leave the premise until all the fixes are done deeming it as unsafe to live. It's been almost 2 months and they are still fixing it. The construction company is pulling out the flooring from all the rooms and repainting the whole apartment. The insurance company just sent me a bill of over 70,000$.

How can the company charge so much if I am only supposed to pay for the damages I caused?

Also, is it legal for the landlord to kick us out for 2 months(we have not been asked to pay rent since)?

If the insurance company is holding me liable, why were the costs and repairs estimates never discussed with me?

Can I claim libaililty on the manager as insufficient draining system(there should have been a drain safe)?

Someone in insurance industry told me - my lease requires me to have a renters insurance but the landlord was also negligent in not following up to make sure you had provided them with documentation, showing you had the renters insurance with the apartment owner as an additional insured to protect them. Can this point be used if I go the legal route?

There's NOTHING a message board can do to help you, except suggest you file bankruptcy, or discuss your other options with a CA licensed attorney.

Back