Water damaged condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapaul

Florida Condo

January 2009 the sewer line backed up causing flooding in my condo. I called a plumber he came out the cleared the sewer line 40 feet outside my unit. At the time he said the line needed to be checked to see what the real cause was. I paid the plumber and called the HOA and gave them the bill and told them what the plumber had said to me regarding the sewer line and was told it would be looked into. The HOA reimbursed me for the plumbers bill.

July 2009 the sewer backed up again. This time damaging the hardwood floors in the master bedroom. A plumber was called to fix the back up. He also inspected the line with a camera and said there was a tree root that broke the sewer line. This information was passed on to the HOA and since then they have had the tree removed and the sewer line replaced at the HOA expense.

In July 2009 when the sewer backed up the condo was on the market to be sold. I had to take it off the market for close to two weeks while the floors were replaced. The issue I am having is that I asked the HOA to pay for the repairs (since it seemed to me that it was as known issue to them in January 2009) and they didn't do anything about it. The HOA is refusing to pay for any repairs, saying they are not responsible for any issues inside the units. I also know that this is not the first time the complex has had issues with the sewer pipes on other units.

What can be done, besides filing a claim with my insurance company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back