Medical Bills Was Sued, Plaintiff Didn't Show. What's Next?

D Harvell

Jurisdiction
Michigan
As the title states, I was sued by a local hospital. A virtual hearing was scheduled, where the Plaintiff was to call me to initiate a group phone call, with the judge. That call never came. Concerned, I contacted the court. Of course, they were at a loss and could not provide any answers. Two hours after the scheduled hearing time, I received a call from the Plaintiff's attorney (just the attorney - not the expected group call with the judge) who proceeded to demand that I set up a payment plan. I refused, stating that per my response to the case that I submitted to the court, I had concerns that needed addressed. The Plaintiff's attorney said, "Fine. We will take it to court, then." This was really confusing to me, as the scheduled court hearing time had already come and gone. I am getting a strange feeling about this interaction and am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if you require more information, I would be happy to provide what you need.

Thank you and best wishes.

Not enough information here. What was the purpose of this particular hearing? Depending on just what is going on, the plaintiff likely can reschedule the hearing unless you find something that gives you a valid matter to object to it (and you make that objection with the court).

Not enough information here. What was the purpose of this particular hearing? Depending on just what is going on, the plaintiff likely can reschedule the hearing unless you find something that gives you a valid matter to object to it (and you make that objection with the court).

The purpose stated in the lawsuit was an unpaid medical bill. We asked the hospital to provide validation of the claim, which they never responded to, until initiating the lawsuit. The documents we were served stated that the details were in "Exhibit A", which we did not receive a copy of, so we still do not know the details of the claimed charges.

We submitted a response to the charges within the required 21 days and a hearing was set for this morning at 9:30 AM. At 11:30, the Plaintiff's attorney called us to demand a payment plan be set up - we never heard from the court, nor did the scheduled hearing take place. When we made it clear that our response that we submitted to the court stood, they said they would take us to court... which they were supposed to do this morning, as scheduled.

Hope that gives you enough information to go on. In short, they are suing us for services rendered, but will not give us information on what those services were, or when they were rendered.

Sounds to me like you failed to appear so the other party likely received a default judgment.

A virtual hearing was scheduled, where the Plaintiff was to call me to initiate a group phone call, with the judge.

That just doesn't sound right to me. I find it hard to imagine a situation where it is one side's responsibility to make sure the other side is there.

You need to contact the court and make sure that a default judgment hasn't been granted to the plaintiff. There is likely a limited amount of time to call such a judgment into question.

Sounds to me like you failed to appear so the other party likely received a default judgment.

The wording on the notice to appear stated: "This is a virtual hearing. DO NOT APPEAR AT THE COURTHOUSE. The Plaintiff's attorney will call you at the scheduled time to add you to the conference call."

Never received that call.

That just doesn't sound right to me. I find it hard to imagine a situation where it is one side's responsibility to make sure the other side is there.

You need to contact the court and make sure that a default judgment hasn't been granted to the plaintiff. There is likely a limited amount of time to call such a judgment into question.

The wording on the notice to appear stated: "This is a virtual hearing. DO NOT APPEAR AT THE COURTHOUSE. The Plaintiff's attorney will call you at the scheduled time to add you to the conference call."

Never received that call. We called the court and they seemed at a loss and completely unable to help, hence our confusion.

Never received that call. We called the court and they seemed at a loss and completely unable to help, hence our confusion.

I still would contact the court. First, to make sure that they didn't show up and get a default judgment, and second, to file for a motion to dismiss based on them not showing up.

That's odd, to say the least:

What To Expect at a Virtual Hearing

A virtual hearing was scheduled

For what purpose?

the Plaintiff was to call me

You mean the plaintiff's lawyer, right?

I received a call from the Plaintiff's attorney (just the attorney - not the expected group call with the judge) who proceeded to demand that I set up a payment plan. I refused, stating that per my response to the case that I submitted to the court, I had concerns that needed addressed.

Such as?

I am getting a strange feeling about this interaction and am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not really sure what sort of response you're seeking. If you've filed a written response to the plaintiff's complaint, then the lawsuit will proceed in accordance with the rules of civil procedure for whatever court the case is filed in. Is the case in a county court or a circuit court? Have you educated yourself about the rules of civil procedure? Forums like this do not exist to provide a general "how to" about rules of civil procedure.

What was the purpose of this particular hearing?

The purpose stated in the lawsuit was an unpaid medical bill.

The question asked was not "what is the purpose of the lawsuit?" The question is what was the purpose of the HEARING? In the context of any given lawsuit, there may be any number of hearings held.

I was sued by a local hospital.

For how much money?

I had concerns that needed addressed.

What concerns?

We asked the hospital to provide validation of the claim,

Why? Surely you were sent a bill after getting out of the hospital. And you certainly could have contacted the billing department for it.

The documents we were served stated that the details were in "Exhibit A", which we did not receive a copy of,

I'm guessing you did not file a "Request for Production of Documents."

they said they would take us to court

Were you sued by the hospital or by a collection agency?

You need to contact the court and make sure that a default judgment hasn't been granted to the plaintiff.

Agree.

Though I suggest a visit to the courthouse to get copies of everything in the case file, unless copies can be obtained online.

they are suing us for services rendered, but will not give us information on what those services were, or when they were rendered.

That should all be in the hospital bill that you got after your hospitalization.

Back