Was never served and judgement was entered

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd123

I obtained a credit card in 1996 while I was living in nyc. I moved to florida in early 2001. on 12/11 I went to use my bank card, and my account was empty. I called my bank and was told that a law firm/collections group had won a judgement against me and that they had taken all my money. The rep transferred me over to the collection agency. The man on the other end of the phone told me that they had sued me in court and that they recieved a judgement. I told the man that I never recieved any information about this. He responded by telling me that I defaulted on this in 2002, and that the
case was closed. when I told him that I was never served, he said to me, in any case, it doesn't matter, we won and you have to pay us."

Do I have any recourse? Can they just not inform you that you are being sued? Also I defaulted on that card in 1995 (meaning the last time I made payment on the card). I found the court jugement, and this took place in June of this year. Isn't there a statute of limitations? Do I have any recourses? I came back to NYC earlier this year, was laid off, and now I have no money. Please help.

Can they just not inform you that you are being sued?

No, they can't. You might be able to challenge the default judgment against you on that basis. But the creditor might have gotten deemed service by, for example, posting the court documents to what was thought to be your residence. Courts are reluctant to overturn that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back