Was I disowned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrivera

My father died about a year ago, leaving a trust to my mother. They were very well off. For decades my father always taunted me not to expect an inheritance because he intended to spend it all before he left and believe me, he tried. Still, it seems there were a few million left over for my mother to live on. I have one older brother whose life mission was to position himself as "the good son". A few months after the funeral, my brother started a huge home remodeling project that easily cost in the 6 figures. This is highly uncharacteristic of him since he has always lived a very frugal lifestyle despite an upper middle class income. Some people would even call him a skinflint.

My question is - is there a way to find out if my brother was left any money, especially without him finding out that I was looking? I know he was involved in the estate planning while I was completely left out of that loop.

You don't have a legal right to investigate anyone's finances but your own!!!

You weren't disowned.

You just weren't included in your dad's will.

He didn't have to leave you a nickel.

It seems as if that is precisely what he chose to do. ;)

Last edited:
You don't know my family history but since this is a legal and not a relationships forum, I'll put it this way. My brother and I are around 60 and since we were toddlers, he made a life mission to screw me over at every opportunity. When my father died, my wife and I helped my mother get her affairs and condo in order and drove her to her appointments, etc. My brother helped in just one way - he took charge of her finances. If am am legally entitled to something, I wouldn't put it past him to try to screw me out of it. I know there was a family trust that would automatically go to my mother. I don't know if there was a will and I'd like to know if there was one.

None of your response changes my answer.
Yes, we do address many legal issues on this forum.

If you were any owed monies, you'd have been contacted by now.

There very well could be a family trust.
Unfortunately for you, you aren't named as a beneficiary of said trust.

As far as your brother screwing you, looks as if his diabolically clever scheme worked.

If you still doubt things, why not speak with mom?

She seems reasonable.

You don't know my family history but since this is a legal and not a relationships forum, I'll put it this way. My brother and I are around 60 and since we were toddlers, he made a life mission to screw me over at every opportunity. When my father died, my wife and I helped my mother get her affairs and condo in order and drove her to her appointments, etc. My brother helped in just one way - he took charge of her finances. If am am legally entitled to something, I wouldn't put it past him to try to screw me out of it. I know there was a family trust that would automatically go to my mother. I don't know if there was a will and I'd like to know if there was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back