Consumer Law, Warranties Warranty dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixote72

Hi there,

I purchased a Mack PC 3 year international warranty on a laptop. Shortly after buying the machine I dropped it, resulting in some visible damage to the case. The machine was otherwise fine and kept on going for 6 months after which it began to present disk problems. At that point I sent it to Mack. They are refusing to honor the warranty claiming that the failure was caused by the impact. I argue that this is nonsense since the machine was fine for daily usage for at least 6 months after the event.

Is there anything I can do to persuade them to do the right thing?

I have appended the warranty terms below. Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Year International Computer Warranty
The computer equipment you have registered is warranted to operate properly, according to manufacturer's specification, for a period of three years after the manufacturer's original warranty has expired, or we shall repair same to operate properly.

In the event that this equipment requires any repairs or service it must be delivered post paid with warranty number, the owner's name and address, proof of purchase and description of difficulties encountered, to Mack Camera and Video Service, 200 Morris Avenue, Springfield, NJ 07081 with a check for $35.00 for PC or Laptops and $15.00 for Palm Pilots for return shipping and handling and insurance in the U.S. We strongly suggest that you insure your shipment when sending your unit to us.

For a Mack authorized service center near you (at the discretion of Mack Camera) or to follow-up on your shipment to us, please call 1-800-252-MACK or 973-467-2291. For international inquiries contact us at international@mackcam.com.

Your equipment will be restored to proper operating condition at no charge to you, this includes all warranted parts and labor. Such service, repair or adjustment of the equipment is assured the original purchaser only and relates only to the components named and serial numbers recorded on original warranty. This warranty applies only if equipment has not been misused, tampered with, modified or damaged as a result of accident, liquid, impact or lack of proper care as indicated in the manual of operations. Warranty does not extend to installation or adjustment at the user's location, and it does not include accessory expansion boards, drives, all batteries any software programs, or sensitive information data on your system and other accessories. This limited warranty is transferable for a $15.00 administrative fee.

Limited warranty applies only to products(s) specified herein. It does not cover software malfunction, or other expenses or consequential damages. Software release must accompany unit. Must have minimum of 90-day manufacturer warranty.

The real question is just how much damage was caused to the case? If it is significant than perhaps the drop did cause the drive to have a lowered life span although I wouldn't disagree with you. An alternative remedy is to have the drive sent back to the drive manufacturer which should still be under warranty (most warrant the equipment for a year.)

I'm not saying you don't have a case but it would be fact specific and they company may be within its rights to deny your claim. You may need to take them to court (or to the airwaves) on this one. It's truly debatable and much dependant upon the actual damage to the case and how it happened.

Originally posted by quixote72
Hi there,

I purchased a Mack PC 3 year international warranty on a laptop. Shortly after buying the machine I dropped it, resulting in some visible damage to the case. The machine was otherwise fine and kept on going for 6 months after which it began to present disk problems. At that point I sent it to Mack. They are refusing to honor the warranty claiming that the failure was caused by the impact. I argue that this is nonsense since the machine was fine for daily usage for at least 6 months after the event.

Is there anything I can do to persuade them to do the right thing?

I have appended the warranty terms below. Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Year International Computer Warranty
The computer equipment you have registered is warranted to operate properly, according to manufacturer's specification, for a period of three years after the manufacturer's original warranty has expired, or we shall repair same to operate properly.

In the event that this equipment requires any repairs or service it must be delivered post paid with warranty number, the owner's name and address, proof of purchase and description of difficulties encountered, to Mack Camera and Video Service, 200 Morris Avenue, Springfield, NJ 07081 with a check for $35.00 for PC or Laptops and $15.00 for Palm Pilots for return shipping and handling and insurance in the U.S. We strongly suggest that you insure your shipment when sending your unit to us.

For a Mack authorized service center near you (at the discretion of Mack Camera) or to follow-up on your shipment to us, please call 1-800-252-MACK or 973-467-2291. For international inquiries contact us at international@mackcam.com.

Your equipment will be restored to proper operating condition at no charge to you, this includes all warranted parts and labor. Such service, repair or adjustment of the equipment is assured the original purchaser only and relates only to the components named and serial numbers recorded on original warranty. This warranty applies only if equipment has not been misused, tampered with, modified or damaged as a result of accident, liquid, impact or lack of proper care as indicated in the manual of operations. Warranty does not extend to installation or adjustment at the user's location, and it does not include accessory expansion boards, drives, all batteries any software programs, or sensitive information data on your system and other accessories. This limited warranty is transferable for a $15.00 administrative fee.

Limited warranty applies only to products(s) specified herein. It does not cover software malfunction, or other expenses or consequential damages. Software release must accompany unit. Must have minimum of 90-day manufacturer warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back