Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Warrant for Forgery & Larceny

Status
Not open for further replies.

worriedparent

My son (22) came to us a few weeks ago and confessed he had a substance abuse problem and was seeking help. He voluntarily admitted himself into a substance treatment facility. During his stay there, his girlfriend called and said that he had written checks against her account. Her father was making her press charges.

She was vague about the amount (it varied from $150 go $410). We explained the situation with him being in a treatment facility and asked if he could repay her, but she said it was between the bank and my son. When he got out, he admitted this and offered to repay her. She again said that it was between the bank and him and that he should wait to hear from the bank. About two weeks later, I called the bank manager and explained the situation. She was unaware of any such claim, but said we should probably repay the girl and hope that they would drop the charge.

Again approaching the girlfriend, she said her father wouldn't let her. Yesterday, he received a summons (state of MA) charging him with 3 counts of forgery and 3 counts of larceny (all under $250). What are we likely looking at? He has never been in any trouble and does not have a record. While I'm not a lawyer, I would be surprised if he were subject to jail, but we (he) would also be grateful to get through this without a record. Again, he has (and continues to) receive treatment for his problem. He has admitted the issue and apologized as well as offering to repay the girl and/or the bank. Please help.

Please help

Please help. He has repaid the girlfriend, but the father refuses to drop the charges. She said the DA is going to ask for 4 months in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back