Pets Wanting to rent a property w/o pet restrictions but still denied due to pets.

Honey_

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I am looking to rent a property with a rental company that manages for a bunch of owners. They stated there wasn't an issue with the pets. I filled out my profile, stated their breed (great pyreenes) (not on any of the viscious dog or restricted lists Ive found.), sent photos of the dogs and cats in and asked if they offered a discount for paying the full year up front. They confirmed the dogs were not on the no list. Confirmed they were fine. Then suddenly I'm contacted that it is a no. I was told the dogs are fine and the cats are fine. But not both. However there is no limit on the number of pets.

I was completly upfront that the dogs help me and my children after the unexpected passing of my husband. We have been through a stalker that shot and skinned 2 animals from our farm and resulted in a 5 year order of protection. We gave all our other farm animals away to save them. The kids can NOT loose the dogs and cats too. They literally hug and snuggle them and they're so much more relaxed after playing and running with them. On nights when my youngest has back to back nightmares I've let the dogs in (they have thick coats and get hot inside so I don't bring them in.) and she will finally get some sleep. She says it reminds her of when she'd snuggle with her daddy and I. My other children are also benefiting from their dogs. Each finds peace and comfort with them.

We have lost so much. My husband and their daddy, our farm and home as we left as I wasn't risking one of my children to be opposite their guns or knives. And I am afraid of what will happen if I take the last bits of their normal away.

I am not irresponsible. I clean up after our pets. They are walked, exercised, brushed, loved and fed as well as I can as a young widow. They have letters of health from their vet. They are all fixed and have their shots.

They say they have no restrictions beyond the aggressive breeds and they're not on that list. They have no limit to the pet number nor the weight.

I do not have any bankruptsy, evictions, or such and credit wasnt an issue either.

Any idea what I can do? I've offered to pay the full year, a deposit, any pet fees, etc but I was still turned down. I just want to keep my children healing and find a safe place for us to live.

Thank you.

It seems you need to keep searching for another rental if you can't get them to agree to the pets.
This is a policy issue at the discretion of the owner/management, not a legal issue.
If you had legitimate service animals it could be a different matter.

You might want to look on Craigslist and deal with individual owners. Look for a house that's not too perfect. Maybe with worn carpet and brown spots in the lawn. Just make sure you take photos of the entire property when you move in so you can't be blamed for anything later.

And, please, don't ever offer a year's rent in advance. You're almost guaranteed to get screwed out of it by an unscrupulous landlord.

Frankly, if you have a year's worth of cash, maybe think about buying instead of renting.

Any idea what I can do?

Yes, look for another place to live. They are not obligated to rent to you and there is no law you can invoke that will force them to do so.

How many pets do you have exactly?
There are 5 dogs and 3 cats.

I was 100% up front and they said we have no pet restrictions to size or number of pets only if it is a viscious breed. Then suddenly at the end of the line it is a no. I was told yes. Toured the unit etc. I am not trying to take the unit. I am trying to figure out what went wrong and see what I can do to help us obtain a home.

I am looking to see if there is something I can do to help remove any worry from their side and show I am responsible and would take care of any issues if my pets were to cause any. Ie: dig a hole= fill it and resow grass or lay sod.

You might want to look on Craigslist and deal with individual owners. Look for a house that's not too perfect. Maybe with worn carpet and brown spots in the lawn. Just make sure you take photos of the entire property when you move in so you can't be blamed for anything later.

And, please, don't ever offer a year's rent in advance. You're almost guaranteed to get screwed out of it by an unscrupulous landlord.

Frankly, if you have a year's worth of cash, maybe think about buying instead of renting.

I thought a contract would protect us from any issues. Thank you for sharing that. The payment is from the down payment Ive saved for a home but unfortunently it isnt exactly where I need it to be to buy a home yet. I need one more improving my credit and savings. Last year I literally didnt even have a credit score. But with utilities in my name Ive earned one. :)

There are 5 dogs and 3 cats.

I was 100% up front and they said we have no pet restrictions to size or number of pets only if it is a viscious breed. Then suddenly at the end of the line it is a no. I was told yes. Toured the unit etc. I am not trying to take the unit. I am trying to figure out what went wrong and see what I can do to help us obtain a home.

I am looking to see if there is something I can do to help remove any worry from their side and show I am responsible and would take care of any issues if my pets were to cause any. Ie: dig a hole= fill it and resow grass or lay sod.

You did nothing wrong.
You simply ran into a landlord whose tolerance for pets was very low.
When I was a landlord, I wouldn't allow any pets, not even goldfish.
It was my choice.

Your task, if you wish to pursue it, is to seek pet friendly landlords.
Your task is much more difficult because you own 8 pets.
Most landlords limit pets to no more than two, possibly three.

You might have to get rid of some of your pets in order to house your family.
That is simply my assessment, but I'm just one dummy on the internet.

If you wish to pay your rent in full by the year, make sure you vet the landlord.

I would only recommend paying in full to a corporation, not a sole proprietor.
It isn't unusual to pay for a full year in advance, and ask for a discount.
I do that with the legal offices I rent.
I did it back in the late 1980s.
My daughter does it today, as does one of my sisters.
If you do it, seek a discount of 5 to 10%, maybe moire if you can get it, making sure the landlord is solvent and not a scammer.
You might need to hire an attorney to assist you to make sure you don't get scammed.

You did nothing wrong.
It was my choice.

If you wish to pay your rent in full by the year, make sure you vet the landlord.

If you do it, seek a discount of 5 to 10%, maybe moire if you can get it, making sure the landlord is solvent and not a scammer.
You might need to hire an attorney to assist you to make sure you don't get scammed.
Thank you
You did nothing wrong.
It was my choice.

Thank you. That is really helpful to know a percentage.

They are in grief counseling. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the loss of a great father and it takes time, patience, and understanding.

My daughter's husband was killed in Afghanistan back in 2012.
My four grandkids are still struggling with his death, as is my daughter.

Counseling is helpful, as is psychiatric treatment, because most children don't really manifest the full effects of such a death until they become adults.

I wish you all the best, hang in there, it never gets better; just more tolerable.
I know because I lost my first wife during my first year of law school.
My kids were in elementary school, and took it very hard.
Its taken them decades to heal.

My daughter's husband was killed in Afghanistan back in 2012.
My four grandkids are still struggling with his death, as is my daughter.

Counseling is helpful, as is psychiatric treatment, because most children don't really manifest the full effects of such a death until they become adults.

I wish you all the best, hang in there, it never gets better; just more tolerable.
I know because I lost my first wife during my first year of law school.
My kids were in elementary school, and took it very hard.
Its taken them decades to heal.

I'm so sorry for your loss and theirs. ❤

8 pets is a LOT. 5 ginormous dogs is a LOT. You are going to have issues finding any landlord willing to allow that many animals. Most landlords aren't going to say up front it is a problem because frankly, renters with that many pets are not at all typical. You might need to temporarily re-home some of them while you rent.

I thought a contract would protect us from any issues.

Contracts are only as good as the people who sign them. If somebody breaches the contract and runs off with a year's worth of your money, sure, you have remedies through the courts but those remedies cost money and if yours is already gone even getting a judgment doesn't guarantee that you ever get it back.

My guess is that the management company operates with no restrictions but still has to submit a tenants qualifications to the owner and when that happened it was the owner who put the kibosh on it.

I think your best bet is to find an individual owner handling his or her own property who is a little desperate to rent it because it's a little rundown. That's the trade-off you will have to make if you want to keep all the pets.

Again, don't prepay rent and don't offer more money than you have to. Let the owner tell you what works.

If there were anything you could do to convince this particular landlord to let you rent, that would be entirely up to them. No one else can predict what someone else may do. I am sorry for your loss and fully understand being attached to pets. However, if it comes down to having a place to live for you and your children versus keeping your pets, you may have to give up at least some of the pets.

Back