Wanting to break lease with roommates

Status
Not open for further replies.

werewolfchik

My boyfriend and I signed onto a lease with 4 other people (all of us in college) for a house quite some months ago and we've all already moved in. Two of the people who were on the lease already broke lease and we found new roommates to replace them.

Since then though, none of us has gotten along. I'm the only girl in a house of 5 guys, and none of the guys trust me because I'm female and they've been screwed over by girls in the past. Because of this, relations between them and my boyfriend and I have been really tense.

We found out earlier today that two of our roommates who are now just trying to get onto the lease were red flagged by the rental agency and they needed to pay double to deposit in order to live in the house. We were told by one our roommates that they couldn't afford to pay it so the rest of our roommates were planning on breaking the lease and moving to another place.

My boyfriend and I made some calls and found another cheaper place to live. We then went over to our current rental agency to ask how much it would cost to break our lease and found out that our roommate had lied to us. The two roommates who werre redflagged only had to pay double the deposit ($500) or to get a co-signer. We also found out that one of our red flagged roommates (the one who didn't tell us about this) had already paid double the deposit.

Now my boyfriend and I are concerned. None of our other roommates will speak with us and we don't know what's going on. Our rental agency told us not to break our lease otherwise our roommates could take us to court. But we're also concerned because we won't be able to pay rent if this one roommate flakes out on us, and we can't afford to pay rent for two places. With how early it is in the school year, it'll be impossible to find roommates to take over for us or for the roommate if he leaves (which he told us that we was seriously considering).

With our tight monetary constraints my boyfriend and I are well aware that there is no way we could swing it to afford rent here if the roommate leaves but we can just barely afford it if we were to leave as long as they can't take us to court. So, is there any way for us to break lease without fearing being taken to court other than finding 2 new people to take over our portion of the rent?

No; whenever you break a lease, you run the risk of being taken to court and sued for doing so. Your best bet is to find other tenants to take over your share of the lease.

And in the future, never get into this sort of lease arrangement. It typically ends up badly.

Gail

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I should have known better.

I had an idea and I was curiouss if it would work. If I paid one more month's rent and informed them that they had a month too find at least 2 new roommates and had them sign a piece of paper that said that they couldn't come after me for more rent or bill money, it would indeed be legally binding, correct? And I would have my landlord sign it as well.

Last edited:
It might be or it might not be. Frankly, I really can't see a landlord agreeing to this.

However, you would have evidence to present in court that everyone agreed to this stipulation.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back