Want to file in small claims, but what city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisylane

A friend of mine borrowed money from me. I live in Cincinnati and he lives in Memphis. Through emails, IMs and text messages, he has repeatedly said he would pay me back, but never has. Some of this money was given to him while I was in Memphis and some was wired to him from Cincinnati using Western Union/MoneyGram. The total is approxmately $2000.

My last email to him stated I would be filing a small claims suit against him if he did not provide payment or reasonable payment arrangements within one week, and he hasn't. So, now I will file, but I am unsure of where to file that case at. Memphis or Cincinnati? And, if I must file in Memphis, can I also sue for the travel costs associated with having to travel there in order to do so?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

This is from another website:
"You need to file your claim in the proper courthouse. Depending on the reason you are suing, this can be where the dispute took place, where the person you are suing lives, where the firm you are suing does business, where the contract you made was supposed to be fulfilled or where the accident that led to your dispute took place. Check with the small claims advisor, whom you can contact through your county small claims court, to be sure you file in the right place."
Usually you have to file in the city the defendant lives or does business. You can include your expenses too, I'm pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back