Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Waiting for Subpoena

troyantonious

Jurisdiction
New York
Approximately 4 weeks back I was called into the police station for questioning about a theft I was involved in. I remained silent and didn't offer a statement. The police released me without pictures or fingerprinting or any letter for a court date. The had me sign a letter telling me that I was being charged and to expect the subpoena in the mail. I followed up with the officer today to check on the status and they said that the court's a long process and it probably takes a few months to receive a subpoena.
Is this standard?

Is this standard?

If you're smart you'll avoid any contact or communication between yourself and the police.

You were informed enough to know you had the RIGHT to remain silent, and even smarter NOT to memorialize anything by offering a voluntary statement.

Now, get even smarter, and don't contact the police about this alleged pending matter.

In cases similar to yours where "suspects", "targets", "marks" use their RIGHT to remain silent and walk away, that ends their involvement insofar as the instant criminal matter is concerned.

Don't appear eager, inquisitive, or mildly interested; just stay as far away as you can and keep your mouth shut.

You might even wish to partake in a FREE, initial consultation with three or four criminal defense lawyers FAMILIAR with the indictment or arrest process in your area.

I see you are posting from Canada, which might also complicate things for US law enforcement, if you were questioned by a police agency operating in NY state.

If you were questioned by Canadian authorities, you can IGNORE anything I posted above, as I know NOTHING useful about Canadian federal law, or the provincial laws of Ontario.

Approximately 4 weeks back I was called into the police station for questioning about a theft I was involved in. I remained silent and didn't offer a statement. The police released me without pictures or fingerprinting or any letter for a court date. The had me sign a letter telling me that I was being charged and to expect the subpoena in the mail. I followed up with the officer today to check on the status and they said that the court's a long process and it probably takes a few months to receive a subpoena.
Is this standard?
You should ask the criminal defense attorney that you should have hired 4 weeks ago. Not a swell idea to post your guilt on the internet. ("called to the police station for questioning about a theft I was involved in") ;)

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. As stated above do NOT contact Police. You were told you would get letter in mail. If not then move on dont rock the boat!

A subpoena is a document that compels a person's attendance in court to give testimony. If you're going to be charged with a crime, it will not be via a subpoena. If you want to know what's standard in who-knows-what county/city/town/village in a state that has a population of nearly 20 million, 62 counties and hundreds of law enforcement agencies, you'll have to ask someone local.

Back