Wage Garnishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestposter

I had to move out of a apartment complex before lease was up, now I'm getting calls from a lawyer threatening to garnish my wages I'm a single mother of 3 work as a medical asst can they garnish my paycheck

Wage garnishment is done all the time. How much they can garnish is limited by law. Whether they will do it is up to them. If you have a debt, best to negotiate now to pay a reduced amount but be prepared to pay a good amount of it if not all very quickly.

The professor is spot on, but I'll clarify.
In order for your wages to be attached, they will first have to sue you.

To sue you, they'll have to serve you with a summons.
That is usually done by a law enforcement officer or process server at your home or place of business.

It might be done via registered mail.

Read it carefully, it'll instruct you as to what you must do, and when you must do it.

The upshot of it is you'll go to court.
You'll get to defend, and if they win, they'll need to formalize the judgment.

After that has been done, they'll notify your employer, who will notify you as to how much they can regally take from you each week.

Until they've done this, you don't legally owe them anything, because only a judge can order this to be done to you. A mere lawyer or bill collector can only harass you, hound you, but can't force you to ay, or have your wages attached.

The process isn't easy, and takes time and effort on their part. I suggest you not speak to the lawyer ( who probably is some guy pretending to be a lawyer ) or anyone about this matter.

If you can't pay, you can't pay. More than likely, if you ignore them, they'll go away.

If you file bankruptcy, this debt and all other debts can be discharged by the federal bankruptcy court. If you're in financial trouble, it can only help to consult a couple bankruptcy lawyers. If you choose to do this, the lawyer will handle getting all those collectors off your back, and you'll walk away not owing anyone a dime.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back