Garnishment Wage Garnishment(Two Jobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainhat

According to the law in my state, when dealing with medical bills, your paycheck can't be garnished more than 25%, and only if it's more than $217.50(after taxes).

But it doesn't say anything about having two jobs.

If you have two jobs with two seperate companies, is each job garnished seperately or are they added together, then garnished?

Example A(Seperate)

Job 1 - $250/week(gross) minus $32.50 = $217.50

Job 2 - $250/week(gross) minus $32.50 = $217.50

Total - $65.00/week garnished

Example B(Together)

Job 1 + Job 2 = $500/week(gross) minus 25% = $375.

Total - $125.00/week garnished.

According to federal law, your paycheck can't be garnished below $217.50.

$32.50 is the most they can take before hitting the minimum.

According to the law in my state, when dealing with medical bills, your paycheck can't be garnished more than 25%, and only if it's more than $217.50(after taxes).

But it doesn't say anything about having two jobs.

If you have two jobs with two seperate companies, is each job garnished seperately or are they added together, then garnished?

Example A(Seperate)

Job 1 - $250/week(gross) minus $32.50 = $217.50

Job 2 - $250/week(gross) minus $32.50 = $217.50

Total - $65.00/week garnished

Example B(Together)

Job 1 + Job 2 = $500/week(gross) minus 25% = $375.

Total - $125.00/week garnished.

Yeah, that must suck. In Texas and other states, too, they can't attach your wages.
Only the IRS can steal from a citizen's wages, and some other gubmint agencies.
But, if you had no debt, no one could steal from you.

If you have two jobs with two separate companies, you have two separate paychecks and each can be garnished. The two companies are not required to have their payroll departments compare notes and add your paychecks together.

That should be obvious.

If you have two jobs with two separate companies, you have two separate paychecks and each can be garnished. The two companies are not required to have their payroll departments compare notes and add your paychecks together.

That should be obvious.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

So that means each paycheck can't be garnished below the federal minimum of $217.50?

Last edited:
Each paycheck is subject to the law, but each paycheck can be garnished to the extent of the garnishment presented to them.

Each paycheck is subject to the law, but each paycheck can be garnished to the extent of the garnishment presented to them.

From what I understand, regardless of how many jobs someone has, the paychecks/jobs are not added together then garnished, they are garnished separately.

Each paycheck cannot be garnished less than the federal minimum of $217.50.

"When you have two jobs, such as a full-time job during the week and a part-time one on the weekends, expect garnishments from both paychecks. The pay isn't lumped together, however; federal guidelines impose a percentage limit per job, not for your total disposable income. (ref. 1) That means that if you're expecting a 25 percent garnishment, then 25 percent will come out of each paycheck from both jobs rather than taking 25 percent of your total income out of one paycheck. For example, if you bring home $800 per week from your full-time job and $300 per week from your part-time job, you'll lose 25 percent of both the $800 and the $300. In this scenario, you lose the same amount you would if your take-home pay from one job was $1,100. But if you make $250 per week at your part-time job, the creditor can only take a smaller amount to ensure that paycheck equals $217.50 per week, the minimum required by federal law. Instead of losing 25 percent, or $62.50, you'll lose $32.50."

That is correct. I believe, in fact, that's what I said. So what's the problem, and why are you all over the internet with this?

Pay your bills and no one will have to garnish you.

That is correct. I believe, in fact, that's what I said. So what's the problem, and why are you all over the internet with this?

You weren't specific enough.

I am "all over the internet with this", because I keep getting contradicting answers from people that don't know what they're talking about.

I wouldn't have to keep asking, if the only people that answered were experts at the law, and not a bunch of people just guessing.

Last edited:
I don't see that the answers you've been given are contradictory.

Tell me, what answer is it that you are looking for that you haven't been given?

Pay your bills and no one will have to garnish you.

In the OP's defense - sometimes it is hard/not possible (even with health ins.) to pay medical bills all at once. They just don't have the income/money.

That much is understood, but by the time it gets to a garnishment it's usually gone beyond just "I don't have the money but will pay when I do" and has reached the point of "I haven't cooperated with any attempts to set up a payment plan or made any partial payments so the only way my creditors are ever going to get their money is by taking it out of my paycheck before I even see it"

That's true "sometimes" too. (though "sometimes" creditor(s) will not accept as enough the amount the person can pay/is able to pay in a payment plan) We don't know anything about OP's situation so can't really say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back