Wage decreased without my knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

NH44

I'm in Washington state.

I've worked at a place for almost 8 years and worked my way to management, so I know how some of this stuff works. I was given a raise three months ago and another last week. They accidentally gave me too high of a raise three months ago, and now they decreased my pay to "make up for it". They did this without my consent or knowledge which I know is illegal. They didn't count on me doing the math. When I approached my boss he backpeddaled a lot and generally gave a bunch of BS. He claimed that it was only for one pay period, which I doubt would have been the case if I hadn't noticed. I know of similar instances where they have forgotten to enter someone's raise into the system and then changed the date on payroll status sheets so they don't have to retro-pay (or whatever you do to rectify that).

I want to know if I can collect unemployment if I quit. I called the unemployment offices and they can't give me an answer, but maybe someone has seen a similar case? If not, what other actions can I take?

No, you will not get unemployment if you quit.

I'm not seeing where your pay was decreased. What I'm seeing is a correction from too high a rate to the correct rate, which is a different thing altogether. Not to mention that at least part of your assumption is incorrect; they may or may not be able to make an actual decrease without your knowledge but they do NOT need your consent.

In the other forum where you posted this question, you made it clear that as far as you are concerned, you should be able to have it both ways; if they underpay you they should have to make up the difference, but if they overpay you, you should be entitled to keep the difference. That is not the way it works. They are entitled to recover an overpayment.

You are free to check with the DOL or an employment law attorney as to the method that they use, but make no mistake, the law is not going to tell you that you're entitled to profit from their error.

So why, if it's legal, would they have to be so sneaky about it?

I understand the ethics behind repaying what was given to me that I hadn't "earned". I'm not trying to be greedy over a measeky 400 dollars. I just can't justify them lying to me.

Also, I know of an employee who put in his two week notice and was immediately dropped from the schedule. He wanted his final two weeks worth of hours though. Would he be able to collect unemployment?

I understand that. I was just hoping someone had seen a similar instance that turned out in the employees favor.

Just because someone had a similar case does not mean your case will follow suit. There are many factors that go into this. There is no penalty for being denied or filing an appeal. You have nothing to lose so file if denied file an appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back