Visitation NYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't really a "sharing" forum. It's about legalities, not what happened with Buster and Bunny in Kalamazoo.

You need to attempt to develop a shared parenting plan that will endure the childs progression to age 18 and account for the potential for mom or dad to move far away. Variables include childs age and travel expenses. The more comprehensive the plan accepted by the court, the less likely you will be going back to request amendments.

It's likely inevitable that the parenting plan will require modification at some point. Custody is always fluid.

Well considering I get the baby every weekend wouldn't the downside to trying to secure custody be possibly getting every other weekend instead? Or will the court be more likely to keep the arrangement as is?

The down side to not getting a court order is that mom can change her mind at any given moment and you will have no visitation at all with no way to correct the problem.

It varies from state to state. The best thing you can do is consult with a family law attorney in your childs county - jurisdiction. There are tendencies with each area...of course there are state statutes too, but then inside that you have judges who tend to rule a certain way - a experienced attorney can advice you of this for your area.

I want to think it being NYC as being somewhat more liberal and having a couple days every week...you have that...I would HOPE a judge would not take away existing time...that is confusing to the kid. You can always request the status quo...and request a graduated visitation plan leading towards shared parenting. That is a common request. Ask for mid-week visits...even if not an overnight...at least 4 hours every Wednesday.
When school starts...if mom fights it you won't keep every weekend as both parents should have weekend time. THEN your graduated plan can reflect you have time with child during the school week, two days/nights - can parent during the school week, and EOW. Some parents do a Thursday visit every week...as child gets older EOW can become Thursday after school to Monday take to school.

Your best bet is consulting with a local attorney, again. That is the only way to see what the trends are.

Joint legal custody is pretty much the norm across the US.

your county family law division will have recommended visitation guidelines for diff. age children. There are also lots of books.

Catchall thank you very much as this is the first time anyone has posted any helpful advice. I have appointments with an attorney this coming week. At this point I can only pray for the best

Interview a couple of family law attornies. See how savvy they are with diff. visitation options, and what kind of rep. they have in the court room. Exp. with little one's.
When you get your first custody plan - as pointed out previously custody is fluid - just do everything right and always show good faith attempts to cooperate with mom (around coparenting). DO stick to the court order...however if mom asks for something for special time, give it. And then see how flexible she is when you ask. Parents able to facilitate a relationship with other parent look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back