Other Visitation visa interview arrested once but with case dismissal

EIME

Jurisdiction
New York
Dear all,

Back in 2011 I was arrested for shoplifting in a mistaken circumstances in NYC, fingerprints and photos were taken after arrest.
I stayed there for a few hours, then got a notice telling to appear on court.
However, my flight was before the issued date, and my visa would have been expired, so I had a kind attorney who helped me showing on court. He told me my case recieved ACD so will be dismissed and sealed automatically.

Now I need to reapply visa for businees trip to enter the U.S., surely ESTA waiver program does not apply, but if I ever go to interview, how should I answer to the question"have you ever been arrested?"

Unfortunately I contacted the lawyer through school email, which the account was deleted after so many years, so I have lost my contact with him. I saw on the Internet that I should be giving a certificate of disposition to explain if i answered yes to the above question. But how should I request it? from whom? and can they mail overseas?

Thank you all for the help. This business trip is really important to me, and to say in fact, i couldn't remember much details about the incident, can I just go to visa interview being honest with no documentation, and telling the interviewer what happened(a lawyer handled it for me and i couldn't really get in touch him, i didn't receive any documentation of record or the case number ... ... )

I suggest you speak with a consular officer at a nearby US Consulate, or better yet, an embassy officer at the US Embassy on the island Nation of Taiwan.
That would be in Taipei, if memory serves me correctly.
You can and should work this out before you make the flight over the Pacific.
Failure to do that these days could find you summarily deported at the Port of Entry.
Immigration policy changed today in the US, and getting in won't be as easy as it used to be, thank goodness.

I suggest you speak with a consular officer at a nearby US Consulate, or better yet, an embassy officer at the US Embassy on the island Nation of Taiwan.
That would be in Taipei, if memory serves me correctly.
You can and should work this out before you make the flight over the Pacific.
Failure to do that these days could find you summarily deported at the Port of Entry.
Immigration policy changed today in the US, and getting in won't be as easy as it used to be, thank goodness.

Thank you Army judge.
Did you mean I should be contacting American institute in Taiwan?
But that will be the same place that handles my visa application, will they be able to help me with getting certificate of disposition?

Thank you Army judge.
Did you mean I should be contacting American institute in Taiwan?
But that will be the same place that handles my visa application, will they be able to help me with getting certificate of disposition?

No, mate, the US Embassy or The Nearest US Consulate, both are elements of the US government's presence in other nations.

yes I believe I understand what you're saying, but the US embassy in Taiwan is called American Institute of Taiwan, it represents US government and is the place where all visa application are handled. Thank you though for the information.
No, mate, the US Embassy or The Nearest US Consulate, both are elements of the US government's presence in other nations.

It's called the United States Embassy in EVERY country.
Actually the poster seems to be correct:

"American Institute of Taiwan is a non-profit organization established under the auspices of the United States government to serve its interests in Taiwan. Primarily staffed by employees of the United States Department of State and local workers, it provides services normally provided by a United States diplomatic mission. The establishment of diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China (PRC) in 1979 required acknowledgment of the One-China policy and termination of diplomatic relations with the Republic of China (ROC). The AIT now serves to assist and protect US interests in Taiwan and other areas in the ROC in a non-official manner. The AIT also processes visas and provides consular services to American expatriates." - That's from Wikipedia because I can't get to the actual site at work. But it seems to say similar from what I can read in the search result.

Actually the poster seems to be correct:

"American Institute of Taiwan is a non-profit organization established under the auspices of the United States government to serve its interests in Taiwan. Primarily staffed by employees of the United States Department of State and local workers, it provides services normally provided by a United States diplomatic mission. The establishment of diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China (PRC) in 1979 required acknowledgment of the One-China policy and termination of diplomatic relations with the Republic of China (ROC). The AIT now serves to assist and protect US interests in Taiwan and other areas in the ROC in a non-official manner. The AIT also processes visas and provides consular services to American expatriates." - That's from Wikipedia because I can't get to the actual site at work. But it seems to say similar from what I can read in the search result.

Which may mean that he or she needs to trek off to Beijing.

Back