Virginia car dealership retaining consumer information

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolman1

To Whom it may concern,

Do car dealerships have the right to keep my identity data for seven years even if I do not buy a vehicle? With all the identity theft happening these days, I would rather keep that information close hold except as required. Any information you can provide me, or point me in the right direction to get an answer, would be much appreciated.
I would like to tell you about my experience at Sheehy Ford in Springfield Va. After talking to one of their salesmen, Wahahat Qureshi, I went to Sheehy on Thursday, 15 March 2007 to look at a vehicle. They did not have one on the lot that met my needs but offer me one located at a dealership in Maryland. I asked them to give me their best price and I would consider it but that I was also going to look at the dealership in Woodbridge Va. I went to the Woodbridge dealer but could not find one for the same price and options etc. I called Wahahat that evening and told him I would purchase the offered vehicle from him the next day, Friday 16 March 2007. He stated it was not a problem and that he would be to work by 1 PM. I showed up at 1 PM to complete the purchase. I sat down at a table and Wahahat brought me some paperwork and asked me to fill out the loan form. He then walked away. As I was going through the paperwork I noticed the VIN number was different than the agreed upon vehicle. I called him over and told him this was a different vehicle. He stated that the agreed upon vehicle had been sold but this one was the same with the same options. (Why didn't he tell me that when he gave me the paperwork?) I asked to see the print out for both vehicles to confirm I was getting a comparable vehicle. He never showed me the two printouts but instead brought over a printout on a completely different vehicle, it had more options than the original. His manager came with him and said he would sell it for the same price. We confirmed what the agreed upon price was and I agreed to purchase the vehicle. I completed the paperwork and gave it to Wahahat. After about 20 minutes his manager call me over and asked what the agreed upon price was again. I told him. At that point the manager and Wahahat started arguing about a mix up. The manager stated he could not sell the vehicle for that price. This was at the one hour mark. I was completely frustrated and began to realize they were trying to bait and switch me on the first vehicle and then to get me to pay more that what we had agreed on with the second vehicle. I asked for my paperwork that I had completed and for the photocopy of my driver's license and military ID. The manager said they had to keep it for 7 years, in case I sued them. He did not return these items and I left the dealership.
Now the good part, sorry it is taking so long, that same Friday evening the Woodbridge dealership salesman called me stating that he found out I did not get the vehicle from Sheehy. But by the way, that same vehicle (original agreed upon vehicle at the Maryland dealership) was not sold and he could get it for me if I wanted it. I also talked to the manger at Woodbridge and he confirmed this, by VIN number.

Needless to say Sheehy is practicing some shady salesmanship.

Sincerely

Last edited:
What is your legal question for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back