Violation of rights to Civilian Contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

I was offered and accepted employment in 2012 as government contractor to support and represent the United States Air Force at Thumrait Air Base, Oman located in Southwest Asia.
Our Performance Work Statement (PWS) specifically states we have "unrestricted entry and exit privileges IAW local base policies, except under the most severe security conditions as determined by the US Installation Commander."
We officially fell under this policy for about 1 month due to direct threats on military personal, especially around the 9/11 ceremonies. Off base contractors were recalled on base and required to stay until conditions relaxed. Conditions relaxed, and off base contractors were are allowed to return to their apartments off base and the alcoholic beverages rule of 3 drinks a day was being resumed by military and civilians on base. However, the base still maintains tightly restricted entry/exit procedures that require memorandums signed by the Vice Wing Commander. Contractors living on base are being confined to strict military rules and are only allowed off base for business/mission essential travel. Whereas military personnel, is allowed to travel to town for shopping/tourism.
This is in direct violation of section 4.1.5 of our Performance Work Statement (Civilian contract), Compliance with Local Rules, "Contractor personnel must comply with all rules and regulations set forth by the United States Air Force while working on any military installation in the US Central Command (CENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR). This includes compliance with all provisions of General Order (G.O.) #1. Notwithstanding the above requirements, when Contractor personnel are off-duty, they shall be afforded unrestricted entry and exit privileges in accordance with (IAW) local base policies, except under the most severe security conditions as determined by the U.S. Installation Commander".
While I live on base, I have the option to seek off-post housing at my own expense. Our Performance Work Statement states "If Contractor personnel elect to establish a full time off-base residence, government housing will not be provided unless recalled in support of the mission, including temporary "on call" support". I do not receive per diem, hazardous pay, nor do I receive a housing allowance. Any costs incurred for my own off-base residence would be solely out of pocket expenses.
Contractors living on base feel un-necessary detainment, thus creating a prison-state for US citizens on a US military installation.
I would be interested in hearing any honest opinions on what our next step of action should be in order to clarify this situation.

I forgot to add,
Contractors living on base are being exposed to strict military rules and are only allowed off base for business/mission essential travel. Asking permission to leave for personal business requires "justification and explanation" to military personnel and is open to individual decision/opinions. The other half of civilian contractors living off base are not basis of this scrutiny, nor are they confined like their counterparts on base. In addition, military personnel resumed travel to town for leisure shopping/tourism.

Contractors living on base feel un-necessary detainment, thus creating a prison-state for US citizens on a US military installation. We are not afforded personal travel off base to relax since we have to justify everything to "business/mission essential travel" only. Combining leisure travel is impossible since work hours can range up to 72 hours a week depending on company and mission. We understand that security measures are important but if they are applied unevenly to a selected few it creates a discriminatory environment. We are willing to adhere to "…most severe security conditions as determined by the U.S. Installation Commander" but are not willing to be singled out because we work and reside on the military installation.

What should be the next step of action, should we contact our State rep. or Senator?

Last edited:
The problem was addressed from the lowest level up to the base CC and it is being avoided. We started addressing it to lead bases and contracting ACOs plus their higher ups but the response times is slow. It is difficult to be patient living under such conditions.

It is not being avoided. It sounds like it falls within "they shall be afforded unrestricted entry and exit privileges in accordance with (IAW) local base policies".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back