violation of privacy & school policies broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

deedragonfly

Could some one help me with a couple of questions I have?

1. If school administration posted a letter about a closed board meeting, which included "identifying information" about my son, husband, and self....is this legal?
If not, what should be done?

2. If the school has broken their own handbook policies, which directly effected my
son's status as a senior, is this a legal issue?

1. It depends on what kind of information was posted and to whom it was made available.
2. It depends on what this is all about. You could at least file administrative complaints.

NYClex

NYClex said:
1. It depends on what kind of information was posted and to whom it was made available.
2. It depends on what this is all about. You could at least file administrative complaints.

The information posted had my name, my husband's, and our 17 yr. old son;s. The letter was from the superintendent, and only for the board members & principal. And it was posted in the principal's outer office, over the copy machine, where staff, and many students read it.

According to the Open Meetings Act, closed meetings are allowed, but the fact that there is going to be a meeting still has to be posted in a public place. There has to be enough information on the notice so that people understand that it has to be a private meeting. It is perfectly legal to state that there will be a closed meeting of a disciplinary nature and listing the names of the people involved, but not the exact nature of the discussion.

If you had ever gone to a school board meeting or City Council Meeting, you would realize that there usually is a public portion where new ideas are brought forward for discussion, then there is the voting part where action is taken on public issues, then the room is cleared for the closed hearing. All public entities are erquired to function this way.

You can check the search engine for Open Meeting Act and get specifics - but it sounds like they are simply complying with requirements.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back