Violating terms of contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgmac

I live in a multiple family dwelling. In 2007, I was made aware that a storage facility on premise was available. I inquired about rental and was told I could rent it. When I asked about the rental requirements, signing the rental agreements, regulations, etc., I was told by the property manager, "No problem, just start paying the rental fee and we will issue you a key."
I did,they did.
Strictly verbal.
I moved my tools in and all was well.
Now, because of a personal conflict with a vindictive HOA board member, I have been told that I will be given a written contract that has a specific termination date.
And when that date expires (12 monthes) I will not be allowed to rent that unit ever again.
I must establish the point and emphasize that this unit and it's contents was maintained in strict accordance with state and local laws governing storage.
I maintain that because I have always paid my rent on time and never violated any law or HOA rule, I should be allowed to continue renting the storage unit. The vindictive HOA member is angry with me personally and insists that I should no longer be allowed to rent that unit. The HOA could find no problem with my unit or my usage. (An inpection by the property manager was performed). No problems or violations were found.
However, the HOA said that, at the insistence of the dissenting board member, I be given a new written contract that states that I must relenquish this unit in 12 monthes
There was no leasing agreement signed. No contract with any stipulations was ever presented to me when I started renting the unit. By accepting my money every month based on Everything was verbal and this is the same company that I entered into the initial (verbal) contract with. No change of ownership or management.
They accepted my money and sent me a big thank you each month.
I believe that by upholding my end of the contract (paying my rent, not breaking the law, and not violating common-sense rules of storage, no explosives, corrosives, flammables, or dangerous substances of any kind.)
Is there any thing in contract law that would allow one of the agreeing parties to arbitrarily change the terms of the initial agreement after they have both continued to faithfully execute the terms of the original agreement?

Any helpful information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
rgmac

This sounds more like landlord-tenant to me. In the absence of the eventual lease offered, it sounds like you had a month-to-month agreement, which could be terminated by either party at any time. I'm not sure that you have any rights here that are of substance and wish I could provide you with more of what you probably wanted to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back