Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Village ordinance violation for retail theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjackson

Hello,

First of all, I did something stupid yesterday. I decided to put $24 worth of goods into my pocket while shopping for something. After paying for everything I bought, I was stopped by store security. I was asked to signed several paper not to enter the store again in state of IL. Police was called in, it is my first time. Police wrote me a village violation ordinance under "retail theft" description and let me go home. I asked him that I did something stupid and I regret, can this stay out of my record. Police told me that paying the fine of "$100" then it won't stay on the record. Is that true? I didn't get any citation YET, will that ever happen in the future?

I'm in graduate school and have a job, I don't want to go to jail or have criminal record. I haven't slept since yesterday...I don't want to have my life ruined because of the stupid thing I did. What should I do now...

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

First of all, I did something stupid yesterday. I decided to put $24 worth of goods into my pocket while shopping for something. After paying for everything I bought, I was stopped by store security. I was asked to signed several paper not to enter the store again in state of IL. Police was called in, it is my first time. Police wrote me a village violation ordinance under "retail theft" description and let me go home. I asked him that I did something stupid and I regret, can this stay out of my record. Police told me that paying the fine of "$100" then it won't stay on the record. Is that true? I didn't get any citation YET, will that ever happen in the future?

I'm in graduate school and have a job, I don't want to go to jail or have criminal record. I haven't slept since yesterday...I don't want to have my life ruined because of the stupid thing I did. What should I do now...

Thank you in advance.

If the police officer gave you a document with your name, his name, the offense, and a court date, that's the citation.
More than likely, if you pay, it'll be washed away.
If you're unsure, run it by one of your university attorneys that serves the student population.
Or, spend about $200 and consult with a local criminal defense attorney, ask around, someone you know has used an attorney. Or, ask the school, they have names.

Generally, if you stay out their stores, pay them their money, it'll all be forgiven.

dear Army Judge, thank you so much for your reply.

The police officer didn't give me a citation, instead, he gave me a Village ordinance violation paper after checking my previous record. I hope that it will go away as long as I pay the ticket. No criminal record or jail time..

I will try to talk to school and find a lawyer tomorrow.

thank you so much.

Chris

dear Army Judge, thank you so much for your reply.

The police officer didn't give me a citation, instead, he gave me a Village ordinance violation paper after checking my previous record. I hope that it will go away as long as I pay the ticket. No criminal record or jail time..

I will try to talk to school and find a lawyer tomorrow.

thank you so much.

Chris

Yes, same thing, he gave you a break by charging you under the ordinance violation.
Yes, no jail time, this time.
Do yourself a favor, and never break any laws.
Its just never worth it, no matter what some dummies might say.
No worries, and if ever you get any useless ideas, say to yourself, "I will never do anymore stupid stuff."

Thanks Army Judge,

"I will never do anymore stupid stuff" in the future, for sure. I have been a law abiding citizen my whole life, then yesterday I was stupid enough to do something like that. It almost destroy my future.

thanks for your reply, really, thank you!

Chris

Where it appears to be nothing more serious than a traffic ticket you should check with court or local Attorney. The Police officer is not a Lawyer or Judge. This means his experience in court matters are limited and he has no power to rule. As a retail theft consultant I have had clients who wrongly assumed they had no record only to find out later they did. You also do not mention Civil Demand expect a letter from the store's law firm asking for anywhere from $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on state law and circumstances of theft. Not paying this can provoke one or more actions that can have a long term impact on your life

shrinkmaster is correct. Besides the ordinance violation fine, you will be receiving a civil demand letter from the store (we can't say what the actual amt. will be). It's your decision whether to pay it but if you don't, there could be additional consequences.

Betty3, thank you for your answer. It's one single most stupid thing I have ever done, never broke law before, I don't even have traffic tickets. It is a lesson for me being stupid and I will learn from it.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I have talked to several lawyers today on phone, some told me go pay the fine it won't be on my record, some says don't pay and request a hearing. Our hearing will be host in the city hall not the court, just a judge. As long as ordience violation is not on my background check or my record, I will just pay for it. I deserve it and I should pay for my actions. I will pay the civil demand as well, it is part of the consequences by my stupid action.

But I just wanted to confirm that the village ordinance voilation "retail theft" will not be on my record, or if I should hire a lawyer to expunge it?

Expunging a record takes place years after. If this is a charge that can go on your record as a conviction then you want to see about a plea deal. Most county's have ACD or Diversion programs that once completed do not result in a conviction record.

SHrinkmaster, Paying this "100" doesn't mean conviction, does it? Village ordiance violation will not turn to be a class A misdemeanor, will it?

Thanks, Chris

It should not but you need to consult a Lawyer for that. If my hunch is right this is not a misdemeanor but infraction (like a traffic ticket) however I dont want to give you bad info either. Show your citation to an Attorney.

Thanks for your advise. I really appreciate it. I will show the violation notice to an attorney this week and see what they have to say.

SHrinkmaster, Paying this "100" doesn't mean conviction, does it? Village ordiance violation will not turn to be a class A misdemeanor, will it?

Thanks, Chris

Paying the fine is essentially an admission of guilt. I would recommend you go back to the attorney who told you to not pay the fine and request a hearing for any further help. Whether you feel guilty or not, freely admitting your guilt in court is not ever a good approach.

Paying the fine is essentially an admission of guilt. I would recommend you go back to the attorney who told you to not pay the fine and request a hearing for any further help. Whether you feel guilty or not, freely admitting your guilt in court is not ever a good approach.

Should I have the lawyer with me in the hearing? just saying not guilty and request a trail?

If you are going to get a lawyer involved which is probably best in your case, yes have the lawyer with you when you go to the hearing.

Last edited:
Got it, thanks for the advise Betty3 and shrinkmaster. I will talk to the lawyer again today, here is what I did - I talked to probably 5 lawyers. Here is what 3 of them said: it is a ordiance violation, not on my record, go pay the fine and don't do it again in the future. 1 lawyer told me that I will recieve a ciatation in mail and once it happens, call him and he will go to court with me. (but the Police officer told me the ordiance violation will be the only ticket that I will get. Can they issue me a court ciatation once I pay the fine?). The only lawyer who told me that go to hearing is ask me to confirm with the judge that this is not on my record, then once it is confirmed I can pay the fine at the hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back