Video displayed on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jean111984

Is there any truth to the claim that once you display a video publically on youtube that people can do whatever they want to it, including downloading it and putting it on their channel?

For instance, if I see a video and I download it and then repost it on my channel either by using youtube or a secondary program.

I have checked the TOS...maybe I'm reading this wrong but I'm interpreting this as having rights to my video. If Im wrong please clarify what this really means so that I know in the future.

"For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in User Videos terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your User Videos from the YouTube Website. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of User Submissions that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in User Comments are perpetual and irrevocable.

Ahhhh... I see what you want to do. Let us ASSUME that the person who posted the video has the rights to post it, for example, of their 5 year old boy who falls off the swing onto the cat, nobody gets hurt, but it's very funny to watch. If you download the video and upload it to your channel using your name (so you get the credit as being the uploader), you have committed copyright infringement. The license is for YouTube to use the video, not yourself. In addition, the right to use is limited and you were never granted the right to download and use the video as YOU wish (which means uploading the video as your own.) Also take a look at the other terms of use. If I remember, there is a section where you must affirm with each video you upload that you own the rights to do so and the right to provide the license to YouTube - and you can't do either one. Just because people do this doesn't mean that it isn't copyright infringement. Makes sense?

I could be mistaken but I believe youtube does not supply a mean to upload a video to your computer. You may save it to your favorites on youtube or send alink via email to a friend but I dont think there is a way to legally upload any video to your computer.

Just because YouTube doesn't provide the ability to download doesn't mean you can't do it with third party tools and solutions. I think the OP is talking about usin them and reuploading the video as his o get the 'credit' as the uploaded and link to his/her profile.

There are third party conversion tools available - I know because I have a couple that I use for work (when kids upload fights and the like to YouTube) and for training (when criminals post nifty things on line that we can learn from). So, they can be converted with the right software.

- carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back