Consumer Law, Warranties Verizon Thunderbolt Phone Defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disabled Vet

The verizon cell phone Thunderbolt was released around 3-25 in the 1st part of may there was a software release that caused the phone to start resetting it's self. Some customers phones reset few times then others. The phone will reset while in use or while at rest state. I am on my 4th phone currently trying to find one that doesnt reset so often.

There was to be a software fix the latter part of June which has come and gone. In speaking with verizon and the maker of the phone HTC there is no date for the new software release. The phone carry's a 1 year warranty, but the replacement phone will be a recondition phone.

Since this is a known issue with the phone and so many folks are having issues is there any laws that will protect a consumer against being held hostage in this phone? I have asked for the cost of this phone applied to another phone that is working. They state the only thing I can do is continue to replace phones hoping to find one that isn't resetting as much. I can keep the phone I have now and deal with the resetting issues until the new software fix is out.

Suggestions?

thanks

You are pretty much stuck with the phone you purchased or you can exhange it for one of the same as they told you.
Otherwise, you can purchase a different phone which does not have this problem, but you will nt be reimbursed for it.

Funny you should mention this. I actually own the Thunderbolt myself and love the phone. That said, it's not without it's issues and also a controversy concerning where Verizon Wireless and HTC has dropped the proverbial ball.

1 - I haven't had a reboot issue at all. Did you perform any hard reset with the phone and use the phone without installing third party apps? I know of at least 5 other people who have no issues at all. Whenever I hear that FOUR successive phones have this problem I have to wonder whether there is user induced error.

2 - It's an impossible case to make given #1. There is a better case. Verizon Wireless allowed numerous industry publications to write up the phone as having 8GB of internal memory for use by the owner. This is absolutely false and it took weeks to correct. Even salespeople at 2 local Verizon Wireless stores insisted I had no idea what I was talking about - until I challenged them to look at how much RAM a new phone had for storage - around 2.5 GB. That's a potential class issue and liability.

That said, you're probably better off seeing what you can do about getting the phone to work for you. Too many people are not reporting any problems. Rumor has it that Gingerbread will be out shortly and everyone should be happy.

thelawprofessor,

Your one of the lucky ones :)

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/107/t/11780.aspx?PageIndex=1

It's a know issue, which I hope gets corrected soon. The phone I have now is virgin.... I haven't put anything on it other then my email. Maybe you just haven't noticed yours doing it. Or you haven't taken the software update that is out there. That is where the problem came from to start with. It's a great phone just wish they would get this issue fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back