Verbally abusive neighbor

Jenndunn31

Jurisdiction
Virginia
We live in a great neighborhood where all of the neighbors get along except for this one couple. They yell at everyone and always seem miserable. Our Rd is a private Rd. We have two dogs, our next door neighbor has two dogs and then the troublesome couple has two dogs. We are able to let our dogs run in our yard because we have a lot of land. Our puppy ran over to their driveway barely on their property two times. Both times the woman yelled at my husband telling him to get our f***ing dog off her property. Then she proceeded to call him a fat lazy ass. We have kept our dogs away from their property since then. We received a certified letter from them the other day stating they have reported us to the police and that they have obtained legal counsel. Not once did the neighbors ever contact us to tell us there was an issue...she's only yelled at my husband when the dog has gotten near their property or on it. Makes no sense. Our dog is a sweet girl. She didn't damage, use the bathroom or anything like that on their property. Their dogs were barking is what enticed her to go check it out. She's a puppy and curious. We have no issue with keeping our dog off of their property but what we don't understand is what spurred such a nasty letter when our dog did nothing wrong. It would have been nice for them to have contacted us first to let us know there were concerns etc. we still don't understand what the big concern is she. Our dogs don't even go over there other than that one time. What we don't appreciate is this woman cussing at my husband, being abusive to him and cussing in front of our 5 yr old. Not to mention these people have been horrible to our other neighbors. They yell at people when they park on street even if it's for a minute. They were horrible to former neighbors always yelling at them cussing at them in front. Of kids. They yell at kids when they ride bikes...curse at them. It's horrible. And now they are threatening to take us to court over our dog who has done nothing. Now in the letter they actually only say "animal" they don't say "animals" nor do they specify which animal they are referring to. We also two cats. Does this mean we have to keep our outdoor cats off their property too? How are we to know which animal...from a technicality perspective they are referring to? I mean we r pretty certain we know but just being technical. We want to know how we can professionally and civilly make right of this situation without every neighbor having to walk on eggshells with these people. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and don't need this stress.

Bottom line here is that, yes, you have to keep ALL of your animals under control or you will be responsible for anything they do to anybody else's property or person.

That means keep your cats in the house and keep your dogs on a leash when they are outside if you don't have a fenced in yard for them to run around in.

That would be your responsibility even if your neighbors weren't nasty.

There may be defenses to a dog bite lawsuit in Virginia but your best bet is prevention by keeping your dogs under control.

As for the nastiness of your neighbors, avoid and ignore. You really don't have any other choice.

We live in a great neighborhood where all of the neighbors get along except for this one couple. They yell at everyone and always seem miserable. Our Rd is a private Rd. We have two dogs, our next door neighbor has two dogs and then the troublesome couple has two dogs. We are able to let our dogs run in our yard because we have a lot of land. Our puppy ran over to their driveway barely on their property two times. Both times the woman yelled at my husband telling him to get our f***ing dog off her property. Then she proceeded to call him a fat lazy ass. We have kept our dogs away from their property since then. We received a certified letter from them the other day stating they have reported us to the police and that they have obtained legal counsel. Not once did the neighbors ever contact us to tell us there was an issue...she's only yelled at my husband when the dog has gotten near their property or on it. Makes no sense. Our dog is a sweet girl. She didn't damage, use the bathroom or anything like that on their property. Their dogs were barking is what enticed her to go check it out. She's a puppy and curious. We have no issue with keeping our dog off of their property but what we don't understand is what spurred such a nasty letter when our dog did nothing wrong. It would have been nice for them to have contacted us first to let us know there were concerns etc. we still don't understand what the big concern is she. Our dogs don't even go over there other than that one time. What we don't appreciate is this woman cussing at my husband, being abusive to him and cussing in front of our 5 yr old. Not to mention these people have been horrible to our other neighbors. They yell at people when they park on street even if it's for a minute. They were horrible to former neighbors always yelling at them cussing at them in front. Of kids. They yell at kids when they ride bikes...curse at them. It's horrible. And now they are threatening to take us to court over our dog who has done nothing. Now in the letter they actually only say "animal" they don't say "animals" nor do they specify which animal they are referring to. We also two cats. Does this mean we have to keep our outdoor cats off their property too? How are we to know which animal...from a technicality perspective they are referring to? I mean we r pretty certain we know but just being technical. We want to know how we can professionally and civilly make right of this situation without every neighbor having to walk on eggshells with these people. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and don't need this stress.

They're not verbally abusive and just keep your dog off their property. They don't have to notify you of calling the police or getting a lawyer. Lots of people have shitty neighbors.

Yes keep all your animals off their property. It's your job to keep your animals controlled. They could take you to court. Anyone can take another person to court over nearly anything. It doesn't mean they will win.

Ignore them. Keep your animals away from them. I don't understand how adults can't ever handle these situations. If they come and harass you then you can call the police on them. If their animals come on your property call the police.

Your neighbor is stupid. It is best to ignore them. The letter you received is meaningless. They are only trying to intimidate you.
While you may have civil liability for any damage your pets do, your neighbor is just being a dimwit complaining about animals that come into the yard. They can put up a fence if it's that big of a deal. There certainly isn't anything for you to worry about from a legal standpoint if your dog should poop on their lawn.
My biggest concern would be that their stupidity might include a willingness to harm the animals. For that reason you should feel inclined to keep them under control, but don't stress over the neighbor nonsense. Let them be cranky and unhappy without effecting your life.

Back