Recovery of Premises Verbal Rental Agreement

RebaChase

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
On or about March 20, 2015, my son approached me. He stated that both he and his fiancé were living in a Residence Inn type of place, it was over the top in expenses, and they were doing this because a sale/purchase deal had fallen through on a house that was going to be purchased by her stepfather, they had moved out of their condo in anticipation, and now were maxed out as she was in grad school and he was earning both off the books and on the books income.

My elderly mother had moved out of her home and deeded it to me. It was a mess. I had already verbally and interview-wise rented out my home to a woman and decided I would move into my mother's home next door and renovate it. I would then pay the enormous taxes on the property through the rental. When my son approached me, I took pity and entered into a verbal agreement with both he and his "fiancé" to rent the home. The rent included $800 for rental, $175/electric included, $25 trash, and $100 cable. For a total of $1100/mo.

I gave them some breathing space, and had the first month's rent (all inclusive) due May 1, payable no later than 5/15/15. I received $800 on or about 5/21/15. and have not received a cent since.

I had constant contact, as I live next door to my former home. The property is trashed. I have been texted and given ongoing promises to pay, pictures of checks, credit card declines etc.

I then moved to a Notice to Quit Possession served to both parties on or about 10/7/15. They did not respond or move out. I then moved to a Summons to Evict served on or about 10/27/15. My son answered the complaint on 11/3 in time. He stated that his fiancé did not, nor did ever live there, even though she did. She kept her mailing address as her old one.
He stated that the heating boiler was condemned and was saving for its replacement? I had never heard of any issues, nor had experienced any myself. I noted that as the weather turned colder, that a siphon had been placed in a very old (over 20 years) oil tank by a barn, and that smaller transfer containers were placed by the oil entry pipe. So, it appears that he was using 20+ year old oil in my boiler to avoid buying good oil. I have pics.

My son, gave an answer to the summary complaint stating the above, as well as that his fiancé did not, nor had ever lived there. I took pics to show otherwise. In addition, he stated that he was not renting as I enter at will and goes through his mail? In addition, he states that he has not received any requested payment since July, 2015.

I did enter the home to leave mail as no one ever picked up mail or responded to me. I took pictures of the residence inside and out. I left correspondence for them and hoped to resolve this amicably. I was trying to help them.

I now need to reply to a Summary Process (Eviction) Answer to Complaint and do not know what I can include/not include/what is helf for the judge/pics/texts...what attempted to be a win/win is now a loss/loss. How do I respond?

On or about March 20, 2015, my son approached me. He stated that both he and his fiancé were living in a Residence Inn type of place, it was over the top in expenses, and they were doing this because a sale/purchase deal had fallen through on a house that was going to be purchased by her stepfather, they had moved out of their condo in anticipation, and now were maxed out as she was in grad school and he was earning both off the books and on the books income.

My elderly mother had moved out of her home and deeded it to me. It was a mess. I had already verbally and interview-wise rented out my home to a woman and decided I would move into my mother's home next door and renovate it. I would then pay the enormous taxes on the property through the rental. When my son approached me, I took pity and entered into a verbal agreement with both he and his "fiancé" to rent the home. The rent included $800 for rental, $175/electric included, $25 trash, and $100 cable. For a total of $1100/mo.

I gave them some breathing space, and had the first month's rent (all inclusive) due May 1, payable no later than 5/15/15. I received $800 on or about 5/21/15. and have not received a cent since.

I had constant contact, as I live next door to my former home. The property is trashed. I have been texted and given ongoing promises to pay, pictures of checks, credit card declines etc.

I then moved to a Notice to Quit Possession served to both parties on or about 10/7/15. They did not respond or move out. I then moved to a Summons to Evict served on or about 10/27/15. My son answered the complaint on 11/3 in time. He stated that his fiancé did not, nor did ever live there, even though she did. She kept her mailing address as her old one.
He stated that the heating boiler was condemned and was saving for its replacement? I had never heard of any issues, nor had experienced any myself. I noted that as the weather turned colder, that a siphon had been placed in a very old (over 20 years) oil tank by a barn, and that smaller transfer containers were placed by the oil entry pipe. So, it appears that he was using 20+ year old oil in my boiler to avoid buying good oil. I have pics.

My son, gave an answer to the summary complaint stating the above, as well as that his fiancé did not, nor had ever lived there. I took pics to show otherwise. In addition, he stated that he was not renting as I enter at will and goes through his mail? In addition, he states that he has not received any requested payment since July, 2015.

I did enter the home to leave mail as no one ever picked up mail or responded to me. I took pictures of the residence inside and out. I left correspondence for them and hoped to resolve this amicably. I was trying to help them.

I now need to reply to a Summary Process (Eviction) Answer to Complaint and do not know what I can include/not include/what is helf for the judge/pics/texts...what attempted to be a win/win is now a loss/loss. How do I respond?

Your state, as have the 49 other states, has prepared a very helpful brochure explaining the eviction process.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/hm014.pdf

I suggest you read it.

No doubt your own county has a similar document.
I suggest you search for it via using Bing, Yahoo, Google, or whatever happens to be yoru favorite search engine.

Back