Verbal harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

yocko

I was in a recent situation at work were my boss decided to write me up about not leaving
my home phone number on his answering machine when I called in sick. Although he had my work-issued cell phone number, he felt that I could have left another number as well.
I have been with the company for 4 years and have never been written up "corrective development." My boss (who has been with the company for 2 months) has not spoken to me prior to the write up in two weeks. When I asked him why he didn't speak to me or communicate before resorting to a write up, he didn't respond.

Since our company has an open door policy, I decided to make an appointment with HR to review the policy on corrective development. They scheduled an 8am meeting for the next morning. The next morning I checked my e-mail and saw that my boss wanted to meet with me to finish the discussion on corrective development and sign the papers. I sent an e-mail reply stating that already had an 8am meeting scheduled and that we could reschedule. He immediated called me back on his cell phone and told me that "I better be in his office at 8am" regardless of the meeting. I told him that I had a meeting with HR and I would meet with him afterward. He then yelled "I'm your superior...I don't care who you are meeting with...you will be in your office at 8am." I told him that I really needed to meet with HR first because it pertained to his meeting. He then raised his voice again and said "I want you in my office at 8am...why are you being so defiant!" At that time, I told him that I needed to end the conversation (I was shaken up) and he replied "No, you will not end this conversation." I then hung up. Since then, knowing that HR wouldn't do anything about the situation (although I reported it) I have put in my resignation.

Is my boss allowed to intimidate me and speak to me in that manner? Is there anything that he has done that would be deemed as illegal?

If you didn't meet with HR how do you know they wouldn't do anything? Not to be not nice, I think you made a mountain out of a molehill over a write up about phone number. It would not have impacted your employee file, it was just documentation that you were informed of policy basically.

I did inform HR of the situation and they told me that I could not do anything unless he sexually harassed me. I spoke to HR about this because I felt that I was being targeted.
My boss cut off communication with me for three weeks before telling me that he is now going to write me up (over a phone number) and then closes the door to further communication. The problem that I had was not that I was written up, but how my boss attempted to intimidate me by telling me that I needed to be in his office at 8am regardless of my appointment with HR and that I better be in his office because he "is my superior." But I'm willing to accept the fact that it is not illegal to be a jerk.

There is also nothing in the law prohibiting your boss from "intimidating" you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back