Consumer Law, Warranties Verbal Contract-1099 Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogenth

I began working for a guy in January for 1 day a week (6hrs)--I submitted a timesheet every 2 weeks to be paid--I was paid in arrears--on 4/25/06 we had a discussion about increasing my hours--I told him I couldn't increase my hours due to family obligations--unbeknownst to me he immediately (on 4/25/06) posted a job on craigslist for the my position for 15-20 hours a week.

On 5/1/06, after finding out that he was looking for my replacement without telling me--I never returned--I returned his keys and left him a note telling him that I could no longer work for him under these circumstances and requested that he pay me for the last day. Two weeks later, I sent another email requesting payment--no response. Last week I sent an invoice saying that he not only owed me for a day's work but I would begin imposing a late fee on a weekly basis. This finally got his attention.

He emailed me back saying that I had no authority to issue an invoice much less a late fee and that he would pay me after he deducted late charges and errors I caused him.

Opinions--I am really ticked off and would love to take him to small claims court--I am a former credit manager and have gone after debtors before.

jogenth said:
I began working for a guy in January for 1 day a week (6hrs)--I submitted a timesheet every 2 weeks to be paid--I was paid in arrears--on 4/25/06 we had a discussion about increasing my hours--I told him I couldn't increase my hours due to family obligations--unbeknownst to me he immediately (on 4/25/06) posted a job on craigslist for the my position for 15-20 hours a week.

On 5/1/06, after finding out that he was looking for my replacement without telling me--I never returned--I returned his keys and left him a note telling him that I could no longer work for him under these circumstances and requested that he pay me for the last day. Two weeks later, I sent another email requesting payment--no response. Last week I sent an invoice saying that he not only owed me for a day's work but I would begin imposing a late fee on a weekly basis. This finally got his attention.

He emailed me back saying that I had no authority to issue an invoice much less a late fee and that he would pay me after he deducted late charges and errors I caused him.

Opinions--I am really ticked off and would love to take him to small claims court--I am a former credit manager and have gone after debtors before.

So sorry--this is my 1st post--can anyone give me an opinion? We had a verbal contract that he would pay me hourly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back