Verbal car sale

S

Sweetthang2013

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
I had a verbal agreement to sale my car to a friend for $1,000.00. He gave me $325.00 and was suppose to give the rest by the end of the week. He never did and this has been about 2 to 3 months ago. Well he has told lies to his Mom and she is sending threatening messages saying she is coming to get the money or the car. I don't have the money to give her. Is there anything she can do ? Since the verbal deal , a radiator and a/c condenser had to be installed which cost around $254.00 in parts. I have the receipt plus whatever labor for my Husband putting them on. Can I charge storage fees? I guess I need to know what to do if she really shows up demanding money or car?
Thanks

I suggest you return the money.
You have a looming problem.
If you don't return the money, how will you explain WHY he gave you $325?
You can lie and say he didn't, yet logically why would he claim he did give you money?

If he's a minor, you have an even bigger mess brewing.

You shouldn't have taken the money.
You shouldn't sell expensive items to a minor.
Better rule, don't sell anything to minors.
Don't sell anything unless you create a contract and a bill of sale.
Collect ALL the money, not bits and pieces.

Right now, you used the mark's money to repair your car.
He gets nothing outta that deal.
The cops might find that interesting, plus you're still driving the car.

Assuming it isn't s minor, you can completely ignore his mother.
As above, it seems you are in situation where you may need to return the money. He gave you money but got nothing in return.
That said, until a judge actually orders you to return the money you aren't required to do anything at all. It's been three months already. Anyone who was gong to file small claims probably would have by now.
Return the money and be done with it or take the chances that it could go too small claims.

Back