Verbal Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinadeal

I am the co-owner of a mobile home that my ex husband and I are selling. I want my half of the remaining balance. We have a couple living in the home currently under a verbal agreement to buy the home. They are paying on time each week as agreed upon. The agreement was made between them and my ex I was not present at the time. There is no written contract. As far as I am concerned they have been paying rent all this time. Do I have a legal right to ask for my half of the remaining balance? Can I make them pay or make them move out if they do not agree within a reasonable amount of time? I need to know before I proceed with any legal action. My ex is trying to threaten to sue me if I proceed with this.

It's not clear what you want or who you want it from. Assuming you want the people in the home to pay you 1/2 the remaining value of the home, you're probably SOL. If it was in his name, or if you consented to it, your husband had the power to dispose of the home during your marriage when the deal was entered into, and the purchasers are entitled to rely on that bargain. You might be entitled to half the value of the home, but your claim is against your husband.

Why do you say "As far as I am concerned they have been paying rent all this time"? Sounds like they might've been paying for the purchase of the home on an instalment plan to me. The fact that you call it the "remaining balance" seems to indicate you know that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back