Verbal agreement on compensation, breach, Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray_sheri

Hi Group:)

I own and operate a licensed Private Investigative Agency in Virginia. I am on my 20th year in the industry. I had an employee as a new, inexperienced Private Investigator. She approched me with a proposal for her compensation IF she brought new clients to my company. Basically, we agreed that if she brought clients to me and worked the case by herself...ie handling all reports, surveillances, etc...she would receive $30 per hour. If she had to involve me or my other employees, she would receive $12 per hour. This person insisted she could handle surveillance, etc...(She recently completed my 60 hour basic PI course mandated in VA).

She brought a client to me. When time came to work the case, the client indicated dates, times, etc...she had vacation plans. Me and another PI handled the initial surviellances, in which the subject's patterns were established, requiring only one PI. Upon her return from vacation, she insisted upon working on the case. Having no actual surveillance experience,
I assigned her to work with a very experienced PI.

Showtime was 5:00 am. She did not show up until 12:30 pm. No camera or video equipment. My subject went to lunch daily at noon. She surveilled the parking lot for hours? When the subject exited his office around 5 pm, she freaked out in panic. She could not keep up and was pretty much useless. I was billed @$30 per hour, plus mileage.

I am now being sued by her husbands law firm. The issues are regarding verbal employment agreements in Virginia; performance, lack thereof, compensation, case law? Any imput will be very much appreciated.

Sheri

If you are being sued you need more help than we can provide. You need to hire a lawyer yesterday.

Hiring a lawyer

Hi :)

Thank you for the response. I did hire a lawyer who does not return calls or show for Court or file continuances...Hence, I released him and I continued the matter.

I am in hopes of gathering pertinent case law and acutal virginia law.

Sheri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back