verbal abuse in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEnds

At the beginning of this summer I started working as a lifeguard at a local public pool. I am currently attending highschool and I am 17 years old. This is my first job as a lifegaurd and its a new place for me. One of the head lifeguards has serious anger or insecurity eguard at a local public pool. I am currently attending highschool and I am 17 years old. This is my first job as a lifegaurd and its a new place for me.

One of the head lifeguards has serious anger or insecurity issues and has it out for me. He has publicly tried to hummiliate me in front on my peers by demeaning satements and foul language. "Shut the fu** up you fu***** co**su****" "You better not make me get out of this fu***** chair" "Shut your fu***** mouth" I am sorry for actually reiterating what he said, but it has left a feeling of anger and disgust. I have never insulted him or responded to his fits of anger with insubordination. This man has taken a disliking to me and has went after me.

One instance, I am talking with another headguard (there are 3) about a W4 form that i handed in but must not have been recorded and which i need to get my check. I was currently on my break and no tasks to fulfill. She had told me to go to the office to ask, but i tried to ask her one more question before i went. He interrupted our conversation in a loud, yelling kinda voice and told me to run and do what she told me. I responded, "I am not talking to you." At that point he started cursing at me, telling me i wasn't going to fu***** get this and that i was a fu***** co**su****. I acquiesced to his request, not wanting to lose my job.

I would just like to know if there is anything that can be done about this man's conduct? I would appreciate any advice on what I can do.

Thanks

There are approx. 40 lifeguards. They are surpervised by three head lifeguards which alternate shifts through out the week. The pool and headlifeguards are overseed by a manager and a assistant manager.

It is a public pool so the manager is working for the town.

I would just like to know what all my options are. I am not a spiteful person but if i was what could I do?

Fortunately, I am friends with the manager. I told him and he agreed with me. He talked to the head lifeguard and it stopped. I was just wondering if i could have done anything more about it, but i don't think i could.

He may have stopped, but I would file a complaint in writing to the main person that is in charge of the pool, i.e. Head Manager and/or The Town. You shouldn't let him get away with it, because he might have stopped doing it to you but doesnt mean he wont do it to someone else.

Yeah, that is exactly how i felt too, but at the same time I will have to work there for the rest of the summer and i am good friends with the manager. Before i wanted to get him fired, but now i just want to forget about it.

You should probably write a formal complaint letter and send it certified return receipt. It might prompt some type of "justice" as the owners will likely not care to have to deal with problems like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back