Vehicle

Jharrell83

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I am in the process of leaving a toxic relationship. Only problem is I am being threatened that I can't take the only car we have, because he bought it from his dad. However the title, registration, and insurance is in my name. Many are telling me I can take it and flee with my children.

It is in your name, it is your car.
If he feels you owe something for the car he can try and resolve that in court if necessary.
The kids complicate things (if they are his kids too).
If these are his kids you might contact a family law attorney or get help through social services because you can't really just flee with the kids.
If they aren't his kids then take off whenever you want. If the car is in your name don't fear any threats to report it stolen.

I am in the process of leaving a toxic relationship. Only problem is I am being threatened that I can't take the only car we have, because he bought it from his dad. However the title, registration, and insurance is in my name. Many are telling me I can take it and flee with my children.

You are wise to flee your batterer.

You are wise to seek protection and safety in a women's shelter.

Here's what you do: You don't tell this toxic person when and how you are leaving. You set up a plan and have a trusted person help if you can. When that toxic person isn't around, you gather up your kids and essential items and you take YOUR car and get the hell out of there.

Back