Vehicle Title Woes..

ThomasH1795

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
So, I purchased a used vehicle on 1-4-2020 from a dealer. I got the vehicle registered with a copy of the state title application and on 2-11-2020 I received a letter saying the application was rejected because it had to be typed instead of hand written. (You could think a car dealership would know that.) I called the dealership and they said they would submit another application. So a few months goes by and I call the state title office again and they said they never received an application. Now I've had the car over 6 months and have no title. I just called the title office and they still haven't received another application. What can I do here? I feel like there has to be some time restraints on these things. I don't want the vehicle any more but I can't do anything without a title.

I suggest you take all your paperwork to the title office and apply for title yourself. That might be the quickest way to get it. If there's a problem you might have to post a bond.

2019 Mississippi Code :: Title 63 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulations :: Chapter 21 - Motor Vehicle Titles :: Article 1 - General Provisions. :: § 63-21-23. Issuance of certificate of title where questions as to ownership of vehicle or existence of undisclosed security interests exist

Then you can deal with the dealer about your title fees if they were included in your purchase. In small claims court if you have to.

Again, do it yourself, get it quick. Hassle with the dealer and it could go more months without it.

So, I purchased a used vehicle on 1-4-2020 from a dealer. I got the vehicle registered with a copy of the state title application and on 2-11-2020 I received a letter saying the application was rejected because it had to be typed instead of hand written. (You could think a car dealership would know that.) I called the dealership and they said they would submit another application. So a few months goes by and I call the state title office again and they said they never received an application. Now I've had the car over 6 months and have no title. I just called the title office and they still haven't received another application. What can I do here? I feel like there has to be some time restraints on these things. I don't want the vehicle any more but I can't do anything without a title.

I agree with adjusterjack but I can't understand why you have not contacted the dealer again since 2/11.

Now I've had the car over 6 months and have no title.

To be precise, you'll have the car for SIX months on the 4th of July.
On the 5th of July, you can accurately state you've possessed the car over six months in duration.

Back