Vehicle Repair paid upfront

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonboise

I have a question. I paid my mechanic 5000 up front to pay for performance parts for my car. I recieved 1000 dollar in parts. Then he told me he had spent the rest of my money elsewhere and is broke. He then ruined the engine on my car on accident, so i paid another $1000+ in parts to fix just the damage to the engine. He is still broke and won't pay me. I live in the state of idaho. I've been told this could be a fraud claim or small claims or may even be too much for a small claims. Can you please let me know what i can do about this.
Thanks,
Jason

Jason - sorry to hear about your car. This is one reason why I will never pay up front for service when a person has possession of my car and has collateral. A deposit is reasonable and payment for parts as incurred is also reasonable. You would probably do best going to small claims court (usually up to $5,000 in damages, potentially more in some jurisdictions.) You don't need a lawyer. Find the court in your county and they should have all the forms and the easy to use instructions.

When you get to court, be prepared to make your case and have your evidence organized! Good luck!

jasonboise said:
I have a question. I paid my mechanic 5000 up front to pay for performance parts for my car. I recieved 1000 dollar in parts. Then he told me he had spent the rest of my money elsewhere and is broke. He then ruined the engine on my car on accident, so i paid another $1000+ in parts to fix just the damage to the engine. He is still broke and won't pay me. I live in the state of idaho. I've been told this could be a fraud claim or small claims or may even be too much for a small claims. Can you please let me know what i can do about this.
Thanks,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back