VA Resident Speeding 84 in 55 in NJ. Q: Points Xfer? Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellolee

I am a VA resident. I was driving in NJ on the Garden State Parkway amongst several other cars, and an officer parked on the side of the road pulls me over, stating that I was speeding 84 in a 55mph zone.

As anecdotal commentary, I'd like to share that this is the first time in more than 10 years that I've even been stopped. I generally drive like a grandmother!

I have several questions.

First, What specifically would I be charged with, if I decide not to go through the hassle of fighting this ticket? Is this reckless driving? What are the penalties?

2nd, I am aware of the Drivers Licence Compact, and NJ/VA's membership status. However, I am not aware of whether would specifically send this violation to VA. Would the points transfer in the case of this speeding violation? And if so, what are the penalties?

3rd, assuming I intend to fight this ticket, what are my best prospects at fighting it? In interest of minimizing hassle, I was wondering what tact may yield the most expeditious and productive course of action, irrespective of whether what I agree to actually reflects my true intent as to my plea.

Thank you, to anyone who contributes.

jellolee said:
I am a VA resident. I was driving in NJ on the Garden State Parkway amongst several other cars, and an officer parked on the side of the road pulls me over, stating that I was speeding 84 in a 55mph zone.

As anecdotal commentary, I'd like to share that this is the first time in more than 10 years that I've even been stopped. I generally drive like a grandmother!

I have several questions.

First, What specifically would I be charged with, if I decide not to go through the hassle of fighting this ticket? Is this reckless driving? What are the penalties?

2nd, I am aware of the Drivers Licence Compact, and NJ/VA's membership status. However, I am not aware of whether would specifically send this violation to VA. Would the points transfer in the case of this speeding violation? And if so, what are the penalties?

3rd, assuming I intend to fight this ticket, what are my best prospects at fighting it? In interest of minimizing hassle, I was wondering what tact may yield the most expeditious and productive course of action, irrespective of whether what I agree to actually reflects my true intent as to my plea.

Thank you, to anyone who contributes.
As you are aware of the "compact" which is the agreement between states to report moving violations between states, those states are:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois,
Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland,
Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New
Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, NEW YORK, North Carolina, North
Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South
Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, VERMONT, Virginia,
Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

84 in a 55 is pretty high. Following other cars doesn't necessarily make you exempt although you could try to claim that you were entrapped and that this conduct appeared to be permitted by the officers. Will be a tough claim and not likely to succeed. There are radar sites but those too are not infallible and not likely to succeed. If you show up, especially with anyone who is an attorney, you are far more likely to reduce the fine and potentially the points as well. The county/state is primarily interested in getting your money, not the points. Good luck and I'm sorry about the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back