Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication VA - Purchasing Alcohol for Underage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJDaniels

I was given a citation for "purchasing alcohol for underage" (not minor). I'm 22 years old and I bought it for my 20 year old friend who was leaving for the army in a few days. Like a moron, I met him at the store and dropped it off in his car because he was leaving to begin drinking and I was going to meet up with him and the party later. I got into my car and was stopped right there by an undercover town of Vienna cop, while another undercover cop got my friend (he got charged with underage possession).

We both cooperated 100% and the questions they asked us while separate were all truthfully answered and matched up, so can I count on a good word from the cop in court?

I'm 22, nothing on my record, I'm just curious if I should hire a lawyer. I know it's a misdemeanor, but it helps that it was underage and not a minor.

If you don't think I need a lawyer, do I just plead guilty and hope for a small fine and maybe community service? I'm mainly interested in having this off my record.

Any insights on any aspect of this would be great.

One side note: after the cop stopped me, he asked if I had anything on me or in my car. I said "nope you can go ahead and look if you want." He said "yeah actually I'd like to", so he patted me down and searched my car, but like I told him, I had nothing on me or in my car.

He was allowed to do this because I said he could, right? If I just said "no I don't have anything" he couldn't have searched without my permission right? I'm not mad about any of this, just curious.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anyone? My court date is Monday and I need to know if I should get a lawyer, that way I can call today and get a continuance so I can find one.

you could probably get this matter deffered if its your first serious offense this means you admit to it and will likely get a fine. the ticket is put on the shelf and after a year or two it is thrown away without being on your public record . this is done in the state of washington its called deffered prosecution

We both cooperated 100% and the questions they asked us while separate were all truthfully answered and matched up, so can I count on a good word from the cop in court?

No, you gave them evidence, you will be convicted.

One side note: after the cop stopped me, he asked if I had anything on me or in my car. I said "nope you can go ahead and look if you want." He said "yeah actually I'd like to", so he patted me down and searched my car, but like I told him, I had nothing on me or in my car.

:no:

He was allowed to do this because I said he could, right? If I just said "no I don't have anything" he couldn't have searched without my permission right? I'm not mad about any of this, just curious.

A patdown is one thing, allowing the cop in your car was a BIG mistake. Even though you had nothing, thats not the point.

I had some cool video's from a guy who was in the ACLU telling you what to do and what not to do. They were removed.

Upon your conviction, simply request that the case be sealed. The judge just may be able to do that for you, then it shouldn't show up on a public background check.

Anyone? My court date is Monday and I need to know if I should get a lawyer, that way I can call today and get a continuance so I can find one.

Call and get the continuence anyway. You can get a couple using the "I need to find a lawyer" line on them, it's your right. Just because you didn't find one in 4 weeks means nothing. You need time to prepair.

Just tell the clerk you need to TRY to find a lawyer as you don't know what to do. They should give you a continuence. You can ask for 4 weeks if you like. A friend of mine, does that all the time. His last case, it took them a little more than a year, just to get a not guilty plea from him. Now, that's a bit extreme, and the judge was being more than fair, I don't suspect you would get that much time. But, you are unprepaired for court, even to plea, and you need a lawyer, which you have not found, and need time to find one, they must continue as per your right.

No, you gave them evidence, you will be convicted.

No, I wasn't asking if I would be convicted or not, I was just stating that I cooperated, and I wasn't the typical ass that most people my age would be. I didn't make one stupid excuse for what I did, nor did the guy I bought the booze for.

A patdown is one thing, allowing the cop in your car was a BIG mistake. Even though you had nothing, thats not the point.

Thanks for the advice, but I hardly believe that was a "big mistake" letting him search my car, considering I know that I had nothing illegal in it. Personally I thing the ACLU is a load of crap, trying to protect the guilty from their guilt. I know I'm guilty, I'm just looking for the answer to my lawyer question. I'm a clean guy, I don't do drugs nor associate with those who do. So by telling him he couldn't search my car, while legally in my favor, how would that have made my situation any better, you know what I'm saying?

He searched my car, and found nothing, just like I knew he would. How was that a mistake? When I see him in court, he will know that I am not like most of the college (potheads) he sees in court, and will tell the judge that I cooperated.

But thank you again for the advice, I will definitely be seeking a continuance while I get a lawyer, because I would prefer to have this off my record.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but I hardly believe that was a "big mistake" letting him search my car, considering I know that I had nothing illegal in it. Personally I thing the ACLU is a load of crap, trying to protect the guilty from their guilt. I know I'm guilty, I'm just looking for the answer to my lawyer question. I'm a clean guy, I don't do drugs nor associate with those who do. So by telling him he couldn't search my car, while legally in my favor, how would that have made my situation any better, you know what I'm saying?

A lot of people died for those ideas that you think are a "load of crap". It's not a matter of being guilty or not, it's a matter of rights that each of us has (for now) to defend ourselves against such government intrusions, and to defend ones self from accusations.

I have a friend in South Dakota looking at a year in jail, because he thought it would be a good idea to "be nice" to the po-lice. They in turn drew up a bunch of bogus charges, the state sent a public defender to the rescue, who in turn got my buddy to agree to a plea agreement. He did nothing wrong.

To invite a cop, or anyone from the government, on your property, in your home, car whatever, is never a good idea. There are dirty cops all over who can drop a little bag of white powder under the seat for another cop to find, and off you go. If you don't believe it happens, do a little research. This didn't happen in your case, but think about IF it would have happened.

Look at the bill of rights in your states constitution, those are your rights.

No, I wasn't asking if I would be convicted or not, I was just stating that I cooperated, and I wasn't the typical ass that most people my age would be. I didn't make one stupid excuse for what I did, nor did the guy I bought the booze for.

So, if I have this right, you confessed to a crime, as did your buddy(who is in reality, accusing you too, and is a potential witness against you) when you didn't need to.
YOu don't see that by standing on your rights it may not have come to this?

You have the right to remain silent, and when it comes to govenment, it must always be used. This "cooperating" with police is one thing, giving up your rights and thinking the cops are going to line up to tell the judge what a great citizen you are is a little far fetched. Here's a little closer to reality:

You will get a lawyer, and some kind of plea bargain will be offered. If you don't take it, and the court finds you guilty because you aren't going to lie and say "not guilty", you will be sentenced like everyone else on that charge. If you take the plea agreement, which at this point is about all you can do, you'll have some kind of hook in you, such as probation.

RJ, it's all about money when it comes to government.

Aside from that lecture, you can ask that your record be sealed even in a plea bargain. When you talk to a lawyer, make sure you make that clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back